BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be wrong about this.. but i was coming home from Atlantic City and on the parkway i saw a gold Saleen. We had a few rounds of races but amazingly i could keep up with him even with 4 people in my car. of course this was going from 80 to 100. He definitely flew by me many of times but there was a time when we both downshifted at 80 mph and he was only one or two car length ahead of me. :confused:
But then again, i am doubting it was a real Saleen. I think it was the GT with Saleen bodykit. Cuz according to my knowledge Saleen should be able to hand my 330ci's ass over to me easily. The appearance of the saleen from the back- it had a bumper saying Saleen. On the left side of the trunk it said something 2.8T. You guys think it was a real Saleen?????????:dunno:

·
[email protected] mph 1/4...Not bad!
841 Posts
Either he was toying with you or it wasn't a legit saleen. Those things perform closer to the level of a M3. But there are two different versions. One that in NA and only puts out 300 some odd hp. And another SC'd one that really rocks puttin' out 400+hp.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... but what do they say in the back trunk???
Cuz the one i saw had a logo saying 2.8T

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,309 Posts
DBX said:
maybe u say S280
Yah they only have 285 hp and do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, not near M3 territory really but, they are fast, he must have just been toying with you,

·
hammer talks like this
4,226 Posts
this guy i used to work with had a s281, and we used to talk shi t back and forth about his car and an e46 m3. the m3 beats his car in everything if i remember correctly and the cobra out performs it too... IMHO those s281's are crap. not worth $35xxx

·
E46Fanatic
3,121 Posts
he was probably taking it easy on you. i think the smallest saleen motor is a supercharged V6. i might be wrong though.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,309 Posts
bender said:
this guy i used to work with had a s281, and we used to talk shi t back and forth about his car and an e46 m3. the m3 beats his car in everything if i remember correctly and the cobra out performs it too... IMHO those s281's are crap. not worth $35xxx
I agee, some kid in my school has one and kids are like, damn man he can beat your Bimmer, and I just tell them whatever I don't give a ****, if I wanted an American sports car I woud have gotten a Z06

·
hammer talks like this
4,226 Posts
that guys saleen was at my locations shop for about a month... i drove it a few times, to take the dust off the paint, and the real saleens have a seriously short throwing gear box.... that i liked

·
booo for body roll.
3,420 Posts
your screen name..... not long enough!! haha jk

good to hear u didn't loose too terribly.. but if tpzblu's stats are correct.. you did a pretty good job keeping up. and if it did say 2.8t.. then it probably was a rebadged gt.. bc i believe theres only the s281 and the s351-- which is one hell of a monster..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm... Yeah.. I think it said S281 or something...
Engine sound on that thing is... dayam.. you guys should hear that **** roar.... But then again, he might have not even tried...
who knows? :dunno:

·
Law Enforcer
2,410 Posts
Not all Saleens are Supercharged. As stated above, there is a 281 and an S281. The S351 is the sure-fire monster. IF the 330ci raced the 281, it's not that much faster, so that's probably the one he raced. I've never raced an S351, but my DOHCVtec civic spanked the S281 everytime I raced. It is torquey down low, but on the freeway, it may lose it's low end advantage. Saleen's manufacturing plant is around the corner from my job in Irvine/Lake Forest, so I have the pleasure of seeing about 4 a day. Oftentime, they drive up and down Lake Forest and Bake Parkway, hood off, testing the cars.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I hate to butt into a Mustang thread, but, it's my specialty so...

Yah they only have 285 hp and do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, not near M3 territory
Uhh, NO....A mustang with 285 will not run 5.2's, you're talking atleast a HO Saleen to run with an M3. But an M3 will get slaughtered at a track in a sprint contest. There is no finesse with a Mustang, drop the clutch and go. The M3 will be defeated off the line time after time and the first 60 is what wins drag races.

Please refrain from arguing this point, thanks,
Chip-

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,309 Posts
carguy84 said:
I hate to butt into a Mustang thread, but, it's my specialty so...

Uhh, NO....A mustang with 285 will not run 5.2's, you're talking atleast a HO Saleen to run with an M3. But an M3 will get slaughtered at a track in a sprint contest. There is no finesse with a Mustang, drop the clutch and go. The M3 will be defeated off the line time after time and the first 60 is what wins drag races.

Please refrain from arguing this point, thanks,
Chip-
No, go check the site if you think you know everything, etiher they are just lyng or your wrong, put its in their print on their site.

"Nothing compares with Saleen Mustangs for 2001"

0-60

Model
1/4 Mile (second)/MPH
0-60
MPH (second)
Lat. Accel.
Braking FT. 60-0 MPH
Resale Value
M.S.R.P*

Saleen S-281 Coupe 14.1 / 98
.93g
HIGH
$ 33,999

That is for the S-281 which has 285 hp, the S-281 Supercharged has 365 hp with a 3.27 differential that thing will tear an M3 up but not the S-281.

·
Law Enforcer
2,410 Posts
I have the complete guide to Mustangs (through 2002) as well as Camaros (through 2002). They are inch thick manuals that show the first model of both cars, as well as the current models. I will review the stats posted above when I go to work on monday, and post back.

(My friend Jays Nissan Silvia below):

Attachments

·
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT
764 Posts
The S351 will smach the sh!t out of an M3 and I hate Mustangs now. (I used to have a '92 5.0 GT putting out a little more than 300 horses)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts