E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just replaced my FCAB's this weekend but I was only able to properly torque one of the two mounting bolts for the passenger side FCAB carrier. The other mounting bolt keeps slipping when I try to tighten it, I've ruined two new ones already (The bolt that I pulled out was deformed as shown in the attached photo) and will barely stay in place.

I have an appointment with a shop that is about 20 miles away tomorrow and was wondering if my car is safe to drive, or if I need to get it towed.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,762 Posts
Not a good idea to drive...not worth the risk. No way it's safe, and handling could be horrible.

I'm on phone so if I wrote something stupid, it was probably the phone!

·
Registered
504 Posts
You should be fine if you take it easy and don't hit any big bumps. if you can get the right tap you can hopefully recut the threads and get a new bolt to work

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am leaning towards driving it.

I have a service appointment with the shop tomorrow for some other work anyway, so I'm just going to see how much it will cost for them to recut the threads.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Maybe a mile or two but not 20.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I certainly wouldnt drive it. But hey, its your car and your money and your life (and quite possibly someone elses). :tsk:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I certainly wouldnt drive it. But hey, its your car and your money and your life (and quite possibly someone elses). :tsk:
Oh please. Don't be so dramatic. I wouldn't drive it either, but I wouldn't go so far as to say its life threatening. If you do drive it, take it easy- dont go fast, dont turn sharp (try to not turn as much as possible)

Then again, why not just get it towed? Its not very much..

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just replaced my FCAB's this weekend but I was only able to properly torque one of the two mounting bolts for the passenger side FCAB carrier. The other mounting bolt keeps slipping when I try to tighten it, I've ruined two new ones already (The bolt that I pulled out was deformed as shown in the attached photo) and will barely stay in place.

I have an appointment with a shop that is about 20 miles away tomorrow and was wondering if my car is safe to drive, or if I need to get it towed.

Thanks in advance.
Sure if you want to die.

I like the tow truck idea :thumbsup: Much safer and in the long run its not worth the risk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts