E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i tried searching real quick, i didn't find any definite answers.

What is a safe distance between the coilover and tire? i know obviously the more space is relatively better, but with all the shock travel and etc, how much of a gap do you think is safe?

Where this originates from is that my 18x8.5 VMR CSL reps (i think et 45) w/255s are rubbing on my coilover. I tried out a 10mm spacer but i'm planning to go get some custom spacers and because of safety issues they won't do anything between 8 & 12. If they do 8, they could do hub & wheel centric spacers. if they go anyy bigger it needs to be a 12 because they make them adapters.

right now with the 10mm spacer i have about 1/4- 1/2" of clearance, and i was just wondering if 8mm is going to be cutting it too close?

Thanks

_raj

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
A 8.5" 35mm with coilovers should be fine. I know with KWs most people with either stock or 8.5" 40mm need to run spacers to avoid contact between the coilover and inner barrel of the wheel. A good 3-5mm is ideal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry guys, old thread I know, but does anyone know if this applies to ST V1's (height adjustable only) as well? If so, could it account for the bump/chatter sounds (from the front suspension particularly on the driverside) that I'm experiencing only when going over bumps in the road?
I just installed ST's on my '00 328ci but front wheels are rubbing, and there is the wierd front suspension sounds mentioned above.

Will 5mm spacers also be enough to eliminate wheel rub?
Thanks Fanatics!

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Sorry guys, old thread I know, but does anyone know if this applies to ST V1's (height adjustable only) as well? If so, could it account for the bump/chatter sounds (from the front suspension particularly on the driverside) that I'm experiencing only when going over bumps in the road?
I just installed ST's on my '00 328ci but front wheels are rubbing, and there is the wierd front suspension sounds mentioned above.

Will 5mm spacers also be enough to eliminate wheel rub?
Thanks Fanatics!
Yes ST's are the same as KW V1's with galvanized steel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts