BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed some play in one of my front wheels.

On giving the wheel a kick it actually moves significantly back and forth. In comparison to the other front wheel.

It was recovered by BMW but when their master tech looked at it on the ramp I was informed nothing wrong with any of suspension, ball joints etc....all within tolerance and the road test was OK.

When I went to pick up the bimmer, and showed them the problem they checked it out again, (this time with the weight of the car on the ground not on the ramp). They observed the difference in play and now going to change the "SAX" or "SACHS" bushes.

My question is

1) What are these bushes SACHs/SAX bushes ?.....

2) Where are they located?

3) Does this really solve the problem? (as I’ve seen so many discussions around play in wheels on the forum)

I'm slightly concerned that the master tech could not find the problem until I showed it to them......and are they looking in the right area / know what they are doing?

ps The bimmer is under extended warranty, 325sport auto with 40K miles on the clock

·
Banned
1,169 Posts
I had noticed some play in one of my front wheels.

On giving the wheel a kick it actually moves significantly back and forth. In comparison to the other front wheel.

It was recovered by BMW but when their master tech looked at it on the ramp I was informed nothing wrong with any of suspension, ball joints etc....all within tolerance and the road test was OK.

When I went to pick up the bimmer, and showed them the problem they checked it out again, (this time with the weight of the car on the ground not on the ramp). They observed the difference in play and now going to change the "SAX" or "SACHS" bushes.

My question is

1) What are these bushes SACHs/SAX bushes ?.....

2) Where are they located?

3) Does this really solve the problem? (as I’ve seen so many discussions around play in wheels on the forum)

I'm slightly concerned that the master tech could not find the problem until I showed it to them......and are they looking in the right area / know what they are doing?

ps The bimmer is under extended warranty, 325sport auto with 40K miles on the clock

See attachment (#6). Common wear item. Your extended warranty should cover them.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
^^ He's right you know. I just replaced mine too due to vague steering like the wheel alignment was out.

Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sachs bushes what are they ? Play in front wheel.....just a quick update
Got the bimmer back today....with repalcement bushes
The steering feels really sharp...but a bit firmer...only had a short test drive...but all a aOK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts