BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is so sick cant believe I haven't seen it before.
You can say that again. I picked up a 2004 325xit with what is supposed to be a sick engine so as a project I am thinking about going S54. I'm comfortable doing this kind of work.

Tippey764, regarding DME and the electrics in this swap, does it matter what year of 325xit gets used?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
You can say that again. I picked up a 2004 325xit with what is supposed to be a sick engine so as a project I am thinking about going S54. I'm comfortable doing this kind of work.

Tippey764, regarding DME and the electrics in this swap, does it matter what year of 325xit gets used?
I believe there are some differences in early year cars that would make it harder but the rest of the production I believe is relatively the same. There is no ms43 to ms45 differences as the xi was never updated to ms45.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sorry for the late reply, i haven´t seen this here. Nevertheless i´m pretty confident we can match S54B32 with an MS43 ;-) RPM will be limited to 8160rpm, but other then that i don´t see big limitations. ITB´s should be no big deal as they are drive by wire too. However, this requires a shitload of tuning unless you find information on the S54 stock maps.

One thing to mention is the position of the crankshaft sensor in relation to cylinder 1 being at top dead center, if that matches then it should be easy.
How you gonna control s54 vanos with ms43 ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe there are some differences in early year cars that would make it harder but the rest of the production I believe is relatively the same. There is no ms43 to ms45 differences as the xi was never updated to ms45.
From my experience ms45 has bigger range of adaptation.
I supercharge my x3 using vortech v9 and injectors 440ccm . Dont need remap. Afr little bit too rich but only on full load.
With 440ccm ms43 would't run on idle.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
From my experience ms45 has bigger range of adaptation.
I supercharge my x3 using vortech v9 and injectors 440ccm . Dont need remap. Afr little bit too rich but only on full load.
With 440ccm ms43 would't run on idle.
right but I'm saying there are no differences in the chassis as far as wiring goes as bmw never built an ms45 xi.

·
Registered
163 Posts
everything in the front end can accept the RWD subframe and other stuff

The transmission tunnel is wider and the mounting points for the RWD transmission are missing. Also you would have to swap out the whole ABS system. not worth the effort
so i just started with a RWD S54 conversion. we pulled out the completed XI drive train and already saw the part where you sid the Trans bracket mount points are missing due to the wider trans tunnel. which is a huge bummer.

the passenger side mounting points are present for the RWD trans bracket but not the driver side points.. theres a large opening in the trans tunnel due to the transfer case location.

we will end up splicing together the RWD and AWD trans bracket to make one bracket that fits both mounting points.

you mentioned the ABS system has to be swapped but why"?

the DSC system in the XI is DSC 5.7 BUT it uses BLUE abs sensors.. so you can just use the blue MK60 sensors from newer e46 such as newer M3s.. they plug up and if you are using the M3 front and rear hubs then the blue M3 MK60 sensors will fit as well.

unless you think that there is a different teeth count on the m3 ABS RINGs vs the XI ABS Rings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wait a minute, wait a minute... did I just see, someone do a S54 swap... in a touring xi... whilst keeping the AWD system in like what... two days?!?!

Buddy, pal, friend, amigo, comrade, brother... I need to talk with you, I need your guidance oh, great one because god damn I am impressed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
so i just started with a RWD S54 conversion. we pulled out the completed XI drive train and already saw the part where you sid the Trans bracket mount points are missing due to the wider trans tunnel. which is a huge bummer.

the passenger side mounting points are present for the RWD trans bracket but not the driver side points.. theres a large opening in the trans tunnel due to the transfer case location.

we will end up splicing together the RWD and AWD trans bracket to make one bracket that fits both mounting points.

you mentioned the ABS system has to be swapped but why"?

the DSC system in the XI is DSC 5.7 BUT it uses BLUE abs sensors.. so you can just use the blue MK60 sensors from newer e46 such as newer M3s.. they plug up and if you are using the M3 front and rear hubs then the blue M3 MK60 sensors will fit as well.

unless you think that there is a different teeth count on the m3 ABS RINGs vs the XI ABS Rings.
Because if you keep the AWD DSC system it will try to hit use the dsc system to move power to the front of the car when it detects wheel spin which it can't do anymore. You're going to have to delete the dsc unless you want the car to do unpredictable things.

Wait a minute, wait a minute... did I just see, someone do a S54 swap... in a touring xi... whilst keeping the AWD system in like what... two days?!?!

Buddy, pal, friend, amigo, comrade, brother... I need to talk with you, I need your guidance oh, great one because god damn I am impressed.
haha thanks man

·
Registered
163 Posts
Because if you keep the AWD DSC system it will try to hit use the dsc system to move power to the front of the car when it detects wheel spin which it can't do anymore. You're going to have to delete the dsc unless you want the car to do unpredictable things.

haha thanks man
ok thats what I figured your thought process was. thankfully you can use NCS Expert to access the TRC file and edit the stored values. there are values in the DSC 5.7 module for other Engine and transmission variants.

we found this out when someone i know with an e39 swapped in an S54.. the e39 ALSO uses the same DSC 5.7 system but different firmware. he had issues where the e39 DSC 5.7 module would keep the DME alive for ever and never let it sleep because it was sending CAN signals continuously.

he swapped in a DSC 5.7 module from an e46 XI car and called me up to look at it and we were able to reprogram the module for RWD mode instead of AWD mode and he was good to go. recalibrated the Steering angle sensor and that was all he needed.

thank you very much for taking the time to log back in and check messages :) very much appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok thats what I figured your thought process was. thankfully you can use NCS Expert to access the TRC file and edit the stored values. there are values in the DSC 5.7 module for other Engine and transmission variants.

we found this out when someone i know with an e39 swapped in an S54.. the e39 ALSO uses the same DSC 5.7 system but different firmware. he had issues where the e39 DSC 5.7 module would keep the DME alive for ever and never let it sleep because it was sending CAN signals continuously.

he swapped in a DSC 5.7 module from an e46 XI car and called me up to look at it and we were able to reprogram the module for RWD mode instead of AWD mode and he was good to go. recalibrated the Steering angle sensor and that was all he needed.

thank you very much for taking the time to log back in and check messages :) very much appreciated.

Is it possible to reprogram the DSC module for RWD mode?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I***8217;ve been through this thread a bunch of times and hope to the same swap to my xi.

Can anyone shed some light on why the oil baffle from the M54 has to be retrofit to the S54? If the S54 wasn***8217;t produced with a baffle, is there some benefit of adding one?

121 - 140 of 149 Posts