E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's talk about getting a S54 swapped legal in California. Now that there are at least (2) known legal swaps that are active on the forum here (@blksab65 & @Bryson) I thought we could get the full story firsthand on how this works. I'll start by saying I don't know much about the process as it has never really been on my radar but its come up a couple time lately and I honestly don't know enough.

On my swaps I swap all the emissions items so my cars don't require any custom DME work to turn off this or that, etc. BUT I do EWS delete the DMEs so we can keep the keys and EWS module original to the car (this does not leave a shadow fault). The other item is I do not swap in the EKPS fuel pump module. The S54 DME has two fuel pump outputs, one for the US EKPS cars and one for the Euro Relay cars, which is the same wiring as a non-M wagon. So I don't modify anything in the fuel pump wiring system, this DOES leave a shadow code for the Fuel Pump Relay (shows in ISTA/INPA but not on a generic scan tool) but does not set the CEL. I know I could go in and suppress the fault but I like the fact the DME software is essentially stock (save for the EWS delete). Set up this way the DME will communicate and show all the readiness codes just like a stock M3 and will pass an OBD2 plug in emissions test.

Now I've read on the M3 forum that those guys are running into issues with California figuring out they have a tune in the DME and thus failing the cars (even though there is no CEL and the readiness codes are set). I imagine that would mean this same issue would also arise on my cars with the EWS delete?

So my first question is, is that correct?

For the cars that are legalized what did it take and what was the process?

What documentation on the donor car is needed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
‘02 s54 touring, ‘70 electric XJ6
8 Posts
These days they’re pulling or calculating checksum values and verifying on the DME so you’ll need it to be 100% stock - meaning EWS delete will fail. I don’t believe you’d fail with a shadow code that you can only see with INPA/ISTA. There isn’t anything fancy involved in aligning the s54 EWS to a non-m so I’d recommend just going through the alignment process.

My stock DME is aligned and my CSL/H-bridge one has EWS delete. This lets me swap them at any time without having to re-align. I’d recommend this if you want to go the CSL box route for CA folks.

Full disclosure, a buddy of mine did the BAR certification for this one but I’m familiar with it from other cars, and from when I had more time…

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These days they’re pulling or calculating checksum values and verifying on the DME so you’ll need it to be 100% stock - meaning EWS delete will fail. I don’t believe you’d fail with a shadow code that you can only see with INPA/ISTA. There isn’t anything fancy involved in aligning the s54 EWS to a non-m so I’d recommend just going through the alignment process.
I guess I've never tried to virginize an MSS54 DME and sync it to a Non-M EWS, I guess I just always thought (or assumed) that it wouldn't like the non WBS VIN#. Sounds like I should give it a go though.

My stock DME is aligned and my CSL/H-bridge one has EWS delete. This lets me swap them at any time without having to re-align. I’d recommend this if you want to go the CSL box route for CA folks.
If they are checking checksums how is your MAF DME running the CSL plenum that doesn't have a MAF provision?

Full disclosure, a buddy of mine did the BAR certification for this one but I’m familiar with it from other cars, and from when I had more time…
Does your car have an EKPS or just the stock non-m fuel pump relay?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I've never tried to virginize an MSS54 DME and sync it to a Non-M EWS, I guess I just always thought (or assumed) that it wouldn't like the non WBS VIN#. Sounds like I should give it a go though.

If they are checking checksums how is your MAF DME running the CSL plenum that doesn't have a MAF provision?

Does your car have an EKPS or just the stock non-m fuel pump relay?
For CA destined cars, definitely give EWS a go. Otherwise I’d say it’s not super important.

You need the MAF and OEM US plenum installed to get bar certified. Having a MAP wired up and connected while you’re using your MAF with stock software will not cause any issues as that circuit is dormant in US software.

Everything on mine is M3, except the heater valve which is still non-m single solenoid :)

For BAR and smog, it must look like this:
Car Vehicle Grille Hood Light

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For CA destined cars, definitely give EWS a go. Otherwise I’d say it’s not super important.

You need the MAF and OEM US plenum installed to get bar certified. Having a MAP wired up and connected while you’re using your MAF with stock software will not cause any issues as that circuit is dormant in US software.

Everything on mine is M3, except the heater valve which is still non-m single solenoid :)

For BAR and smog, it must look like this:
Ah, ok, I misunderstood, I thought you were saying you were running the CSL plenum on a MAF tune DME.

So your does have the EKPS, might have to look into whether it's "worth" swapping too, a bit more additional work for the interior disassembly to install that's for sure.

What documentation paperwork wise did you need?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It’s always been pretty simple for me. Do an OEM like swap, nothing aftermarket on the car, make an appointment with a referee, bring the VIN of the engine you installed and let them do a detailed inspection of the car. It’s not all that mysterious once you’ve done it :)

I actually didn’t have to BAR my EV conversion car because it’s smog exempt (1970 model year) so there are some exceptions but generally they’re all for older cars.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s always been pretty simple for me. Do an OEM like swap, nothing aftermarket on the car, make an appointment with a referee, bring the VIN of the engine you installed and let them do a detailed inspection of the car. It’s not all that mysterious once you’ve done it :)
I assume your air filter housing is cut up to clear the xenon headlight control module, did they give you a hard time about that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I assume your air filter housing is cut up to clear the xenon headlight control module, did they give you a hard time about that?
Good question - xenon control module was unbolted and relocated to the frame rail with zip tie assistance to keep the stock housing intact.

I’m still waiting on a CSL flap to see if it clears in the stock xenon location with that airbox setup

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I literally took mine in & got it smogged with no issues whatsoever last year after Kevin did my swap. 2001 shell with all parts from my 2006 m3.
Does your car have the fuel pump EKPS swapped?

Are the keys/ews original to the wagon or M3?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To the best of my knowledge yes it does. I can ask Kevin to be sure.
It's a ton more work to install the EKPS which is why I mentioned it as you can do nothing and just run the car off the stock wagon fuel pump relay as well (it just leaves a shadow code).

·
Premium Member
'01 E46 S54 325iT
38 Posts
It's a ton more work to install the EKPS which is why I mentioned it as you can do nothing and just run the car off the stock wagon fuel pump relay as well (it just leaves a shadow code).
Oh okay gotcha, I know it runs on a m3 fuel pump at least. I was honestly surprised it passed smog without having any issues based off everything i'd heard people having to go through.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh okay gotcha, I know it runs on a m3 fuel pump atleast. I was honestly surprised it passed smog without having any issues based off everything i'd heard people having to go through.
M3s use the EKPS which is a pulse width modulate "relay" so the DME can vary the pump speed electrically.

The non-m (and euro M3) cars use just a fuel pump relay which is just on or off.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The one exception is the M56 SULEV cars, which have an EKPS and higher fuel pressure along with MS45.1 DME.
True, oversight on my part, the M56 DOES use the EKPS and their DME is the MS45. As a side note, I don't think you could convert an M56 to MSS54 (S54) due to its SULEV rating?

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT 2004 M3 6MT
1,128 Posts
True, oversight on my part, the M56 DOES use the EKPS and their DME is the MS45. As a side note, I don't think you could convert an M56 to MSS54 (S54) due to its SULEV rating?
Im pretty sure you cant, since M3 has worse emissions ratings than the SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle).

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Correct. I was just being pedantic. :geek:
FWIW: Some M56 SULEV cars have been converted to using the M3 fuel pump though. I think the fuel pressure is the same as M3.
The EKPS is physically different between the M3 and M56, whether the functionality is different IDK. I am in the process of converting an M56 MS45 to M54 MS43, seems straightforward enough in regards to the wiring though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts