E46 Fanatics Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

· Premium Member
2003 BMW 325IT 8/22 ROTM
75 Posts
Looks like I can kiss another couple grand goodbye! Dinan and SS resonated it is. Thanks George
The single pipe dinan e46 cans are still available new at this time, but the double pipe inlet I think is NLA.(EDIT-striking this out since I have not confirmed with Dinan directly) I highly suggest buying a new silencer since you have maximum noise reduction in mind. The unknown mile used dinan exhaust I have is much louder than the known 60k mile dinan system I was used to hearing. Adding in the shape of the touring also amplified noise in the cab compared to coupe.

That should be a really nice setup and results proven thanks to Georges hard work!

· Registered
2002 S54 touring, ‘70 electric XJ6
90 Posts
The single pipe dinan e46 cans are still available new at this time, but the double pipe inlet I think is NLA. I highly suggest buying a new silencer since you have maximum noise reduction in mind. The unknown mile used dinan exhaust I have is much louder than the known 60k mile dinan system I was used to hearing. Adding in the shape of the touring also amplified noise in the cab compared to coupe.

That should be a really nice setup and results proven thanks to Georges hard work!
It looks like Turner and ECS have photos of both version under one product number. Mind if I ask the source of info for the twin pipe version being out of production?
At this rate it might be easiest to just fab a 2.5” muffler from scratch..

· Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The single pipe dinan e46 cans are still available new at this time, but the double pipe inlet I think is NLA. I highly suggest buying a new silencer since you have maximum noise reduction in mind. The unknown mile used dinan exhaust I have is much louder than the known 60k mile dinan system I was used to hearing. Adding in the shape of the touring also amplified noise in the cab compared to coupe.
It looks like Turner and ECS have photos of both version under one product number. Mind if I ask the source of info for the twin pipe version being out of production?
At this rate it might be easiest to just fab a 2.5” muffler from scratch..
Its just a "stock" photo, single pipe E46 mufflers are for the early M52tu cars which are NLA, all M54 E46 cars use the same dual pipe muffler which ARE still available as per Dinan's website.

*Personally I think the best is the BMW Performance, but you likely aren't going to get one of them so in that case I'd goto the Dinan.

Thanks, but I should have documented this better.

· Premium Member
2003 BMW 325IT 8/22 ROTM
75 Posts
George, you’re not wrong about documentation but that’s easy to say in hindsite. I agree the performance exhaust is the best but well out of reach.
As far as PN is concerned I would contact dinan directly, they’ve been super responsive with me in past. My current dual pipe is on D662-1463, on dinan they are offering d662-4602. Pardon the upside down photo.
Plant Automotive tire Wood Bumper Font

Sadly I didn’t get the PN of the single in any of my documentation shots. But photo for reference, below is a shot comparing z3 and the 328 single like George stated. I installed the 328 on my z3 since the droopy tip is pretty polarizing.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Asphalt Gas

FWIW Bryson, with the amount of custom work I cannot imagine a y adapter would be much more for an exhaust shop to make dinan single inlet work.

· Registered
90 Posts
George, you’re not wrong about documentation but that’s easy to say in hindsite. I agree the performance exhaust is the best but well out of reach.
As far as PN is concerned I would contact dinan directly, they’ve been super responsive with me in past. My current dual pipe is on D662-1463, on dinan they are offering d662-4602. Pardon the upside down photo. View attachment 963861
Sadly I didn’t get the PN of the single in any of my documentation shots. But photo for reference, below is a shot comparing z3 and the 328 single like George stated. I installed the 328 on my z3 since the droopy tip is pretty polarizing.
View attachment 963862
FWIW Bryson, with the amount of custom work I cannot imagine a y adapter would be much more for an exhaust shop to make dinan single inlet work.
Do you happen to know the diameter of the single inlet? Ideally I’m looking for a cross sectional area of ~9in^2 or 3.25” OD single.
I’m assuming the Dinan is dual 2.25” which would be ~8in^2. A single 3.0” is 7in^2.

· Registered
90 Posts
Now with that said SS does make a conversion kit that replaces the Sec 2 & 3. We found it was not worth any power with the Euro Headers/Cats and stock tune (vs the other options), BUT maybe its worth considering with your SS headers and cats as I imagine you will back it up with a custom tune.
So I’m looking a little closer at this. SS sells two versions of this conversion exhaust. One that has 54mm diameter and bolts up in place of a stock S2-back, and another that has 63.5mm diameter but needs to be purchased in sections 1, 2, 3. Wish I’d seen this before I purchased my setup.
It looks like you dyno tested the lower flowing version. The higher flowing muffler is part number 044806 on their web page here (also used for their other high power swaps): https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/s...e46-all-models-for-s54-engine-conversion.aspx

After that bit of extra homework, the SS setup may actually be the best bet here, although I don’t know how loud it’ll be and it’s an expensive experiment. Perhaps I’ll just buy the 044806 muffler and cut/weld/sleeve it to my 63.5mm section 2 that’s already en route.

Edit: The 044806 was in stock on the supersprint website so I went for it. Fingers crossed that it’s not too loud.

· Premium Member
2003 BMW 325IT 8/22 ROTM
75 Posts
I’m assuming the Dinan is dual 2.25” which would be ~8in^2. A single 3.0” is 7in^2.
I believe you're correct on the single being 3 inch, but the dual is actually 2.125" with a 2.25" section to form a lap joint.

Taking flow into consideration, I agree with your choice of the experiment and look forward to the results!

· Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Edit: The 044806 was in stock on the supersprint website so I went for it. Fingers crossed that it’s not too loud.
Please do a before and after dyno.
*Edit: I actually have dyno time scheduled today to baseline a stock M3 that we are installing V1 headers and cats into a stock S2 with a Dinan muffler.

· Registered
90 Posts
Getting onto a dyno is pretty tough for me due to availability during the day, but I’ll keep the e36 exhaust in the case that I can make it happen. I’d really love a custom tune vs the canned one I’m running now as well, so there’s some extra motivation to make it happen.

· Registered
90 Posts
For the thread record, it looks like even though the inlet of the e36 M3 muffler is 2.25" - the tailpipes neck down to ~1.75" as a nice choke point (validated by checking out mine). This is super interesting as every tube in the muffler other than those last two choke points are a healthy diameter. It looks like opening up (cutting) the bottom section of the exhaust and replacing these sections could free up an e36 M3 muffler to flow the same or similar to an e46 M3.

Photos of the e36 muffler:
Shoe Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Gas Machine Differential Auto part Metal

Auto part Metal Cylinder Gas Machine

And photos of the inside of a regular e46 muffler:
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Trunk

And an e46 M3:
Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

· Registered
11 Posts
My S54 swapped touring originally had a Supersprint E36 M3 "Euro racing" muffler installed along with a custom section 2. This setup was too loud for me.

Recently I took George's advice and went to a stock S54 section 2 and Dinan E46 non-M muffler. This quieted things down nicely. I'd say this setup is slightly louder than a stock E46 M3, but not by much.

· Registered
'00 323 >>> 332iT, Orientblau
161 Posts
Its just a "stock" photo, single pipe E46 mufflers are for the early M52tu cars which are NLA, all M54 E46 cars use the same dual pipe muffler which ARE still available as per Dinan's website.

*Personally I think the best is the BMW Performance, but you likely aren't going to get one of them so in that case I'd goto the Dinan.

Thanks, but I should have documented this better.

New Data Point: Spent an hour on the phone today with Dinan to get a confirmation that the Part Number D660-4602 is in fact a two pipe in and two pipe out arrangement. The part is "Fab upon order", so there are none to look at in stock. He went to Engineering Bill of Material and noted that the unit ships with 2 clamps. He tried to get a look at the install or engineering drawings, but could only get eyes on the BOM. So he said the photo on the web site (see below) is inaccurate and should show two pipes. On the strength of that, and with a 30 to 45 day lead time before it will be fabricated, I put one on order directly with him. We'll find our some time in February, hopefully.

Product Font Screenshot Technology Parallel

61 - 73 of 73 Posts