BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure most of you guys also know about the S52 who now own the S54 motor in your E46. What are the main components that increase the power from 240 to 333hp?

-Cams?
-Compression?
-Head/valving?
-Intake manifold?
-Combination of?
-Other?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so this is my second thread after joining this forum because it looked like a good place and I get these responses? I could live with use the seach function or something but this is rediculous.

Geez

·
Registered
824 Posts
lol its an S52 on steroids. they ACTUALLY gave us the euro ITB's and beefed up the internals. what would you like to know exactly?

·
Registered
763 Posts
OK, so this is my second thread after joining this forum because it looked like a good place and I get these responses? I could live with use the seach function or something but this is rediculous.

Geez
Sorry you are getting smart a-- responses, but the reason is that EVERYTHING is different between the 2 engines. All internals are improved, which is what results in the higher red line and more power (partially due to a higher compression ratio) through vastly different valvetrain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dude, Such a broad questionand then you get pissy about it. The engines are completely different. Don't be so LAZY.Google each engine model and READ!!!!I assume you have have a PC and can read because you got this far:excited:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude, Such a broad questionand then you get pissy about it. The engines are completely different. Don't be so LAZY.Google each engine model and READ!!!!I assume you have have a PC and can read because you got this far:excited:
Broad my ass, I gave items that might be involved in the hp upgrading of the motor, which is still a straight 6. Lets see, every motor has a block, rods and pistons, cams, valves, head(s), throttle body, intake manifold, so I figure why not ask the question? It's not like I don't know anything about a motor.

I think it's amazing that BMW was able to increase the S52 motor from 240 to 333hp with basically the same motor type.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry you are getting smart a-- responses, but the reason is that EVERYTHING is different between the 2 engines. All internals are improved, which is what results in the higher red line and more power (partially due to a higher compression ratio) through vastly different valvetrain.
Thanks for an honest response.

-Increased redline, often meaning better valve retainers and rods.
-Higher compression
-I think the cc's are up a bit too, right?

I will do a little reseach on what basic comparions I will see via the web.

Brent

·
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied
27,022 Posts
Broad my ass, I gave items that might be involved in the hp upgrading of the motor, which is still a straight 6. Lets see, every motor has a block, rods and pistons, cams, valves, head(s), throttle body, intake manifold, so I figure why not ask the question? It's not like I don't know anything about a motor.

I think it's amazing that BMW was able to increase the S52 motor from 240 to 333hp with basically the same motor type.
So what's different from 1958 to 2008? They all have those internals too... :tsk:
It's "basically" the same engine, but as said on steroids. There is no way you'd be able to updagre the S52 to an S54, so they can't be THAT much alike.

·
Mod Squad
12,558 Posts
The US had a watered down S52, the Euro Spec E36 M3 Evo had 321 hp. The horsepower difference between an Euro M3 and an E46 M3 aren't that great.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Your question should be, what are the main components that decrease the hp in the S52 US Spec?

I would like to know as I was never surprised of the hp the S54 makes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your question should be, what are the main components that decrease the hp in the S52 US Spec?

I would like to know as I was never surprised of the hp the S54 makes.
On the contrary, any NA motor making 100+bhp/liter is pretty damn impressive.

Porsche flat 6, 3.6 liter motors can make 400bhp with no forced induction. If you consider Porsche a bench mark in making good power that is.

·
Registered
824 Posts
On the contrary, any NA motor making 100+bhp/liter is pretty damn impressive.

Porsche flat 6, 3.6 liter motors can make 400bhp with no forced induction. If you consider Porsche a bench mark in making good power that is.
in that case, every1 post up there DOHC Vtec motors and lets compare :str8pimpi

but seriously, its not about how much power is being made... its about how its put to the ground. thats what makes BMW's so great. if only the M3 came stock with 3.91 gearing :drool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
in that case, every1 post up there DOHC Vtec motors and lets compare :str8pimpi

but seriously, its not about how much power is being made... its about how its put to the ground. thats what makes BMW's so great. if only the M3 came stock with 3.91 gearing :drool:
I agree, before I even bought my E36 I was looking at gear charts to see what gears I wanted. I realized you basically can't change the gears but I bought an M3 anyhow. I'm not big on diff ratio changes, but a 6 speed with the right diff ratio will sqeeze the speeds to make it better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The main problem with changing the diff ratio is you do not drop any rpms between the gears. With a more peaky power band you need just that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts