BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this and if so how hard it would be to do. If you could find a nice motor from a 99 e36 m3/mcoupe/mroadster or an 00 mcoupe/mroadster would it really be that hard to do? The s52 and m52 are from the same family of engines so I'm sure you could easily drop it in there and not have a ton of problems with electronics and wiring.

I think this would be a sweet project, besides the obvious dispacement advantage to the s52, it is also a higher performance motor with far more modifications available. An s54 swap would be cooler but much more expensive and complicated.

Dan

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was also wondering the same thing. So then, you'd be in between a 330i and M3. I would go for the S50. It has slightly lower displacement but the tuning capabilities are much better. And everyone knows pretty much all the engines from the E36's (m/s52 in particuluar) or notorious for holding up a great amount of boost without internal work required (I beleive some guy got up to 700whp on a stock m52)

·
Registered
953 Posts
"The s52 and m52 are from the same family of engines " false.the two engines dont share that much components. concerning the swap there is a legendary thread made by the half-god aka george aka MITE46.search for the threads started by MITE46. its called "decided to go trough the engine transplant ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hardest part would be getting the electronics to work right.

e46 323/328 Have M52TU Engines which are like e36 M52s, except with more electronic stuff added.

I've looked into this too and I'm still looking for good solutions to this problem (One guy just made himself an after market gauge cluster)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe there is a law in place which says you can not place an older model year engine in a new model year car, ie the 1995 s50 motor isn't allowed by law to be put in a 99 or 00 e46.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,540 Posts
Now, that's just retarded. I'm sure there are plenty of newer cars out there with older model LS1's in them.

OBDI Swapped S52 would be a lot of fun in an E46 chassis. Throw in some new injectors, M50 manifold, possibly turbo..:4ngie:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe there is a law in place which says you can not place an older model year engine in a new model year car, ie the 1995 s50 motor isn't allowed by law to be put in a 99 or 00 e46.
it varies state to state... I want to say in NY it only has to have the same emissions as the original engine, but don't quote me on it. Just be happy you don't live in CA, their laws on engine swaps are ridiculous. Here in VA you can put any engine in any car and have absolutely no problems (legally)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts