E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do I need to tap the cable into the fuse box or add a relay? :dunno:

Many websites say we must install a relay and/or fuse to cut the power when the button accidently pressed after the engine has started and to protect the start button as well!

From this DIY link, it doesn't say anything about relay or fuse!

But from this and this DIY (not for E46), they suggested to install a relay and fuse! :huh:

Could comeone with the start button installed comments on this please!!!

TIA

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Banana_Bread! :thumbup:

So we DO need the relay..., hmmm so what's the purpose of the relay? Is it to prevent the button being pressed again? Please explain!
:dunno:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm not an electrical expert but the general gist of the relay is to prevent the switch from getting damaged by having too much power going in to it. If you don't run a relay, your switch is likely to be fried and your out 50$ for a s2k button. This isn't the best definition but for you definately need to install a relay for this mod.

For the mod to prevent the button from being pressed again, you have to connect your ground to your e-brake so that the switch only sends a signal when the ebrake is up, however for mine i didn't do this so if i hit the button again when i'm driving, it'll crank the engine again (not good).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so if I do that, I have to put my e-break first to start my engine right? (not convenient then :banghead: ) Is there other way to prevent the button being push again? I think our engine stater will prevent turning the key to position 3 if the engine already started right...., hmmm probably some one can tap into "that" cable... and do DIY for this engine starter button

Any ideas anyone? :huh:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Banana_Bread said:
I did a diy for this, it should answer all ur questions. PM me for info if its not listed

http://members.shaw.ca/banana_bread/S2000DIY/s2000enginestartdiy.htm
I need help please, how come mine does NOT work? :bawling:

I followed your instructions, but the button did not work!

I think you put wrong descriptions for the prongs for the s2000 button! How come from other links I given above, they said the prong #1 is your prong #5, so basically they said, prong #4 and #5 are useless...., which are your descriptions for prong #1 and #2!! :dunno:

Please confirm this Banana_Bread, I'm to afraid to try right know....! :(

TIA

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont you think I should use prong #3 instead of #2 to connect to ground???

·
Registered
622 Posts
For my installation, #2 was definately the ground, i remember that they were really close together..
Do a search on google for s2000 starter button, there is a page with the wiring diagram that is done much better. If you give me ur email addy i can send u the pic which should clear things up for u.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts