E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty guys, I'm back with another question. Some of you will probably tell me to stop wasting your time (I don't consider learning a waste of mine), but I'm curious nonetheless. I have a 2003 330XI with H&R sport lowering springs that I put on awhile ago and LOVE how they ride, but wish they were lower. I replaced all the struts and shocks when I installed the springs, but am proactively thinking about their next replacement. My question is this, why cant I use "RWD only" coil overs on my xi? And before anyone says "because they're different" don't. Show me a comparison picture or give me some measurements. I've seen them both and cant tell the difference. The top mounts look identical, and unless the strut tube diameters are different, I don't see why the RWD ones wont just slip in the same mounts...? Thanks for any advice you can provide. (if there's any lol, when i called H&R to ask about the different between their AWD and RWD coil overs, they couldn't give me the specific difference)

·
Registered
01 325xi coupe
44 Posts
I’m in the middle of putting an xi drivetrain in a coupe. I can vouch that the mounts are the same. What I am dealing with is that my car will be stripped out. I am loosing ~800#, so it sits way high on the stock setup. I have already switched the rear shocks to e36 m3 units. When I get lowered springs, I will switch the fronts to koni yellows

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sick man! How’s that going? Are you planing to daily that or just have one heck of a hooning machine? (Lol) Okay awesome. How do m3 shocks ride? (Hight and quality) Would you recommend I get OE m3 hardware, or go with a pair of coil overs?

·
Registered
01 325xi coupe
44 Posts
I have been daily driving my e28, so I want to give it a break, even though it has been awesome. From what I've read the rear m3 shocks are great. They hold up to the rotation of the shock through the suspension movement better. But the only front struts that fit are the ones designed for the xi. I believe that the housing is shorter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohh okay. That’s what I was curious about. I knew the mounts were the same, at least from what I could see, but without physically comparing struts I wasn’t sure what else was different. Any chance of modifying the existing housing to fit the RWD struts? I’m just not a fan of dropping a grand on some coil overs. If that’s what it ends up being though, I just won’t lol

·
Registered
01 325xi coupe
44 Posts
The driveshaft is in the way for the longer RWD strut. That is why it's so tough to make these really low.
I imagine it would be possible to modify the upper strut mounts to gain maybe an inch, but it would be a lot of work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts