E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got some good tips on how to clean rusty looking calipers. Just picked up my 01 330ci and dealer has been great 'cept for not being able to (rather, not wanting to) scrub the rust off the calipers. Any suggestions? I plan to paint them in the summer but want them clean now!!! Doesn't help that we are getting 20 cm of snow tonight!!!!

Raj.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked the same question. Apparently even 2002 and 2003 are prone to it. Something about them expanding and contracting.. who knows. The stealer went on and on but I really didn't get a firm answer from them.

they suggested that I paint them (easy fix) but then i asked about problems with warranty (due to caliper seizing which may or may not be related to the paint) and the answer I got was "...hummm..good point... they may reject the warranty claim"

Again, another great answer!!!

·
Yes...I do think I hate you
1,539 Posts
my calipers look like sh!t, but am too lazy to do a good cleaning, taking off wheels and cleaning the hub too. I gotta do it though.

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
maybe you guys should try some wheel cleaner. eagle one or meguiars has it and when i sprayed some on my wheel, it completely cleaned my calipers and made them look like new again.

4,171 Posts
BAVARIAN323i said:

What are you talking about man...:banghead:

The rusting is normal....and happens because of water/moisture.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Rust is simply one thing: metal oxidizing from contact with water. "Hosing them down" is like taking a mouthful of salt when you're thirsty... not the exact result you want.

To clean calipers, search the detailing aisle at the auto parts store. They usually have metal bristle brushes (looks like a toothbrush for S&M fetishists). Get the kind with the softest bristles, and use this to brush the rust off the caliper. I would recommend using a dust mask while you do this, neither brake dust nor rust dust are good to breathe.

- Rob

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
1,973 Posts
raj, are you by any chance, a pulmonologist?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not an MD (like yourself).. RRCP / RRT

i think i will need to brush the calipers once all this snow melts. And by the way, no car i have ever owned (including my '95 E36) has had calipers looking this bad.

If i have some time I will post pics!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
good analogy, its like a hand full of salt when your thirsty..rob your a genious :wow:

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
1,973 Posts
alveoli said:
Not an MD (like yourself).. RRCP / RRT
cool :thumbup:

4,171 Posts
alveoli said:
And by the way, no car i have ever owned (including my '95 E36) has had calipers looking this bad.
No reason why they should look any different... both are cast iron, same manufacturer. Could you have simply driven through some salt slush in a recent snowstorm that did not get rinsed off?

- Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts