E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I RAN OUT OF GAS and barely jerked up to a stop (luckily on the side of a small neighborhood street). Tried re-starting the engine, it didn't sound great, and quickly died again with a pulse on the gas pedal. The OBC read 14mi left (approximately, I realize). Before I had my 1st inspection done (which was a week earlier), I could go until after 0mi with the car still running fine.

My car now feels VERY SLUGGISH with no pull on the acceleration at all. My gas needle seems to be going down A LOT FASTER driving both locally and on the highway. OBC still states approx. 21mpg. I don't think any of this is my imagination either.

Questions: Did I ruin my car by reaching the point of running out of gas? Could there be some sort of mechanical or technical glitch that might have occurred because of that [to the fuel injection system]?

Anyone with technical knowledge care to help a brotha out?
:dunno:

·
Network Analyst
3,433 Posts
suprtran said:
About a week ago I RAN OUT OF GAS and barely jerked up to a stop (luckily on the side of a small neighborhood street). Tried re-starting the engine, it didn't sound great, and quickly died again with a pulse on the gas pedal. The OBC read 14mi left (approximately, I realize). Before I had my 1st inspection done (which was a week earlier), I could go until after 0mi with the car still running fine.

My car now feels VERY SLUGGISH with no pull on the acceleration at all. My gas needle seems to be going down A LOT FASTER driving both locally and on the highway. OBC still states approx. 21mpg. I don't think any of this is my imagination either.

Questions: Did I ruin my car by reaching the point of running out of gas? Could there be some sort of mechanical or technical glitch that might have occurred because of that [to the fuel injection system]?

Anyone with technical knowledge care to help a brotha out?
:dunno:
It might take some time for your MPG readout to become up to date. In your case it might be best to reset it. To reset it all you gotta do is hold the little BC button for a few seconds while the MPG display is up. The display will reset to zero and it will give you more up to date info.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well, seems like you have had prior experiences with running your gas low to the point where the OBC is reading 0 mi!! This is extremely bad for the life of your fuel pump, and depending on how often you have been letting your gas run that low, your fuel pump may be shot. Look into a fuel pump replacement, cant think of what else could be causing this problem...

·
.--. . -. .. ...
4,365 Posts
When I got my car, the sales rep told me that if I ran out of gas, they would have to look at the fuel injection...it can mess it up..:dunno:

Something like that..I'm not 100% sure what it was, but I know that it's bad to do.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Why would you let your obc went down to 0 mile before and you tried to do it again? You are in socal there are gas stations everywhere. I don't know how much damage that did to your car but it doesn't hurt and doesn't waste you much time to fill up your car before your tank hit too low.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,166 Posts
Yah you really should not be letting this happen once none the less a few times. I always fill my car up just when it gets to the 1/4 tank left no reason to run it dry every time.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Guess I'll have to have the dealership look into the fuel injection components. I've learned my lesson and yes, I will refuel a lot sooner now. Thanks for all who inputed. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.