BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spoken with Dan at SPP, and he said they've had several customers, both in Audis and BMWs, running 80W fogs (vs. the stock 55W) without melting the housing/harnesses.

I just had one of my winter fogs burn out, so time to get a new set, and while I was at it, I was going upgrade the wattage and get new superwhites (I run yellow in the winter) as well. Anyone out there who's had a bad experience with the SPP 80Wers?

I run H11s, but be interested to hear from anyone, regardless of bulb type. Thx. John.

·
name's PHIL
6,165 Posts
y risk it though...........the 55 watts are pretty freakin bright, i've got the SPP's yellows for my fogs:thumbup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had 80w in my truck wired with a relay directly to the battery and using 12ga wire. I noticed the problem wasn't that they were drawing too much power, but that there was so much heat it melted the insulation off the wires near the bulb socket.

If you look at an older car with a battery under the hood then you'll notice a lot of powdery corrosion on the negative terminal. Once the insulation starts to melt off the wires you'll have exposed wires and then you'll start to see the same corrosion.

So in the short term, no, you won't "burn out" your wires, but in the long term (in the course of a year for me) you'll start to see the insulation melt back and harden and then the wires can get exposed. Once they start to corrode it's only a matter of time before they get brittle and break.

Have you considered doing HIDs if you're looking for more light?

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Melted/corroded mine.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
abomb, if by HIDs you're talking about headlights, I already have the stock xenons, and they're plenty bright. I was interested in the 80W fogs primarily for cosmetic purposes, not to make up for poor headlights, although I'm not willing to melt the fog housings and/or sockets for only cosmetics.

In addition, there's plenty of debate about the value of yellow fogs, let alone brighter ones. Perhaps 80W ones will only cause more glare than if the lights were just 55W whites -- who knows... :dunno:

·
Resident Biznatch Slapper
280 Posts
Which yellow fog bulbs are you guys using? I've looked for PIAA bulbs but they don't make the yellow ones. I believe my fogs for a 330Ci are 9006 no?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have ICE WHITE 80 Watt for over two years in my car and use them almost every day without any problem.
Good luck
vern

1 - 9 of 9 Posts