E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I bought some Duplicolor Rubberized Undercoat and have been wanting to do my Rear Wheel Wells, being that they have silver metal color poking through, and I also understand that it reduces road noise. I was gonna tape and newspaper everything off (sensors, lines, hardware etc.) and possibly even do the front wheel wells as well.

Suggestions? Feedback? Experiences?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a thicker lining overtop of it basically. Serves as an insulator I guess.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright I will. And yes the rear right and rear left. It's just subframe exposed.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I wonder why BMW engineers didn't just slap some on if it made a difference, probably because it didn't make a difference.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
I'm not sure what you will gain, the fender liners are already rubber/plastic.
But to what end? I think you are spinning your wheels, no pun intended. Do you REALLY hear things from the wheel wells, or do you just hear things that are normal and customary for vehicle operations. I wonder what the gain is, and if the gain is worth the cost and effort. Surely, you are not inhibitting rust because the parts you are asking about spraying are already not made of anything that can rust.

PS
At 137 pounds and 3% body fat, I hope you're a girl because you would have to look awesome if you were also 5'6". On the other hand, if you're a guy then you are a bit scrawny and you need to beef-up a little, but if a girl I gotta ask why you need to get to 145. If you're a guy, I was bigger than you are now when I was in the 6th grade.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
He wants to tinker. Let him tinker :D If he was cutting chunks out of his rotors to save weight, I'd give him a hard time. But he's doing something that manufacturers sometimes do anyway. Like adding sound insulation or dynamatting the doors. Surely, any amount of added insulation would cut back on noise. But the job has to be executed well. Cleaning everything will take much longer than spraying it on. Personally, I agree though. The car is built how it is. But i don't see any harm here (Unless I'm TOTALLY misunderstanding what he's doing)

I think he just wants to spray the sheet metal in the rear wheel wells (not any plastics)

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
He wants to tinker. Let him tinker :D If he was cutting chunks out of his rotors to save weight, I'd give him a hard time. But he's doing something that manufacturers sometimes do anyway. Like adding sound insulation or dynamatting the doors. Surely, any amount of added insulation would cut back on noise. But the job has to be executed well. Cleaning everything will take much longer than spraying it on. Personally, I agree though. The car is built how it is. But i don't see any harm here (Unless I'm TOTALLY misunderstanding what he's doing)

I think he just wants to spray the sheet metal in the rear wheel wells (not any plastics)
I'd like to point out that the rear portion of the wheel wells is plastic from a line basically just forward of the exact top of the tire down to the skirt at the bottom of the bumper. Water that comes off of the tire should be gone by the time the tire reaches the top, and any water that still sprays off will be pushed by air towards the back of the car, not drawn toward the front.

The rear wheel wells do have metal in the forward half that is also a structural barrier for the fuel tank, support for the doors, and whatever structural purpose one could dream up, but the metal is already coated with rust proofing, and is galvanized. Dealers sell sound proofing and underbody sealant for purely profiteering reasons. The automaker (any of them, and surely BMW/Mercedes, and the like, has to be an industry leader here) will protect the very same areas that the dealer wants you to buy protection for. The dealer put the car on the rack and takes the tires off, and tapes around the painted surfaces, and somebody making $20 per hour takes about 10 minutes (or less) to spray about $15 of material (retail pricing) onto the bottom of the car, and they collect $500 for the service. Pure profit. Don't forget the Scotchgard while you are blowing money...

Every consumer report that tells you how to avoid being fleeced on a new car purchase will tell you to NOT buy the underbody treatment. This is not all they say, but they always say it.

Having said that, if there was ever a good time to buy underbody treatment, it would be on the very first day when the car is still clean.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Oh yeah. I'm well aware of the galvanization, and coatings/sealants that go onto the underside and the entire chassis. I've watched my fair share of BMW factory production videos LOL. I'm just saying the OP seems to be pretty set on this and I think it's something he can play around with safely. I mean year after year, our cars collect a nice extra form of insulation called dirt and road grime.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Oh yes they do. You must be one of those OEM worshippers.
No I don't care for the manufacturers, but the engineers who spent years collecting and applying their research. There is a reason they usually do/or not do certain things.

The biggest problem with tar rust/noise profing (confirmable by almost any senior body man) is that it traps moisture behind it. Also, it is usually a ***** to remove, and must be removed if you ever plan on doing any welding in the area. Add to that it will serve little purpose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.