BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my RTAB's about 5 months ago with Meyle HD units as my old bushings were shot. After having them installed I learned about limiters and how they enhance handling performance and prolong the life of bushings. My question is how much work is it to install limiters now? Would a shop charge me as if they were installing the bushings again? Or is it something that can be installed quickly without dismounting the trailing arm, etc. Pardon my ignorance, but I am a suspension novice.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
You'd have to do everything you would to replace the RTABs except press the bushings out/in to the arms. Drop the console, remove the through bolt, slide the console off the arm, insert the limiters, replace the through bolt and re-torque with the proper "pre-load", bolt the console back up, repeat on the other side and then, of course, get an alignment. At this point it probably makes more sense to add limiters the next time you actually need to replace the RTABs.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of. Man I wish I knew better. :-(

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You'd have to do everything you would to replace the RTABs except press the bushings out/in to the arms. Drop the console, remove the through bolt, slide the console off the arm, insert the limiters, replace the through bolt and re-torque with the proper "pre-load", bolt the console back up, repeat on the other side and then, of course, get an alignment. At this point it probably makes more sense to add limiters the next time you actually need to replace the RTABs.
Or the next time he needs an alignment ;)

That's what I was afraid of. Man I wish I knew better. :-(

I wouldn't fret - the limiters really only work under hard cornering. The trailing are still moves - the limiters simply prevent it from moving past a certain point. And that point is usually only met under hard cornering. If you've going to the track a lot, then I'd do it, but for a street-only car you aren't really getting any benefit from them. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I recently bought some M3 RTABs but didnt bother with the Vorshlag limiters.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I pulled one of my traing arm carrier's to see what shape my rtabs are in. What do i look for? they looked like they were good? i have 20,000 miles on my M3?:hmm:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or the next time he needs an alignment ;)

I wouldn't fret - the limiters really only work under hard cornering. The trailing are still moves - the limiters simply prevent it from moving past a certain point. And that point is usually only met under hard cornering. If you've going to the track a lot, then I'd do it, but for a street-only car you aren't really getting any benefit from them. :thumbup:
Ok cool, I don't feel like a complete idiot then. My car doesn't see any track time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts