BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have any of you guys in the forum been able to remove and install OE style rear trailing arm bushing using those bushing tools available for rent at the big box auto parts stores? I am trying to figure out if I can get away with those universal bushing tools or if I have to get a hold of the "BMW" one referred to in YouTube videos and some posts in this forum. I am going to use OE type bushings!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wasn’t able to. I would up buying a ball joint removal tool from harbor freight that worked. I had to also use a 36mm socket along with the ball joint tool to make it work. It did the job just fine. I did the upper and lower rear control arm bushings and ball joints and the front control arm bushings with it also. Just have to get creative with it and some sockets. Here’s a picture of everything i used. It will work for the rear trailing arm bushings, and the upper and lower rear control arm bushings and ball joints. I replaced all of the rubber bushings on my 2001 330ci with tuner Motorsport monoball bearings. They extremely tightened up the suspension. Makes the bumps a little harsh, but it handles better then any e46 with rubber bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for for sharing a picture of the set you used and the information about the 36mm socket. That helps a lot!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for for sharing a picture of the set you used and the information about the 36mm socket. That helps a lot!

No problem. Using this setup takes a little creativity to get it setup up right, but it does work, and it’s cheaper then buying a specific tool that will only do the RTA bushings. With the tool in the picture, you can do all of the bushings and ball joints. I paid 60 bucks at harbor freight for the ball joint tool and the 36mm socket

·
Registered
938 Posts
RTAB: OE Bushing Removal & Installation Tool

Search this forum for RTAB tool. There is an excellent one available for about $100 new. Some people here have been known to rent them out.
I have one, it works incredibly well. I just don’t rent out my tools but others do.
Edit;
Couldn’t find the older posts in the forum, must be in the DIY Section, so I looked it up.
There are several similar available. These work with the arms on the car.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/schwaben-rear-trailing-arm-bushing-tool/020610sch01a/?gclid=CjwKCAiAwJTjBRBhEiwA56V7q0T4ueX-mQ_EjIJTOcQHdje7SnduQ47MzleykxAhGQX-03CQnd60ZRoC8NoQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do appreciate the suggestion of renting one out from one of the members, and I have been aware of that option. However, I am not huge fan of renting or borrowing tools from individuals. The way I see it is that there is always the possibility for the tool to fail. Unlike a tool from an auto parts store where the renter is not liable if the tool fails under normal use, here the renter is responsible for anything. Like Ti317, I don't like to loan my tools either for the reason mentioned here!!! ;-)

There seem to be an updated version sold by Bavauto in a kit with other bushings tools for not much money, and I might consider buying that tool kit. However, I will try Pushrod's suggestion first. This is a one time job done to my own car that won't probably be redone anytime soon. Thus if it takes me a little longer, I do have the time to accommodate that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
w
I wasn’t able to. I would up buying a ball joint removal tool from harbor freight that worked. I had to also use a 36mm socket along with the ball joint tool to make it work. It did the job just fine. I did the upper and lower rear control arm bushings and ball joints and the front control arm bushings with it also. Just have to get creative with it and some sockets. Here’s a picture of everything i used. It will work for the rear trailing arm bushings, and the upper and lower rear control arm bushings and ball joints. I replaced all of the rubber bushings on my 2001 330ci with tuner Motorsport monoball bearings. They extremely tightened up the suspension. Makes the bumps a little harsh, but it handles better then any e46 with rubber bushings.

what brand 36mm socket did you use?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts