E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to be overhauling my suspension this weekend and I'd like to replace all the RTAB and differential bushings while I've got the car up on jack stands. I'd happily pay to rent the bushing removal/install tool kits, or help with work on your car in trade, etc... Full set of tools, including air tools.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Chad - if you want to make friends... now you will!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up not getting the RTAB tool for my RTABs as they are okay for now. However I ordered the diff bushing tool and through some mix ups and oversights from MIS tools- it's finally being delivered today...

·
Registered
316 Posts
can the RTAB bushing removal tool be used for the differential rear bushing? I was under there today checking what else I want to replace while doing a brake bleed, and I noticed the bushing was in a sleep similarly to that of the trailing arm bushings

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can the RTAB bushing removal tool be used for the differential rear bushing? I was under there today checking what else I want to replace while doing a brake bleed, and I noticed the bushing was in a sleep similarly to that of the trailing arm bushings
I have no idea, I havent seen an RTAB tool... But I have the rear diff tool now. I'll be doing the rear diff bushing next weekend as I'm doing autocross school on the 17th and need it replaced before then.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I ended up hacking the old RTAB out. I started by removing the center of the bushing with heat, a hand drill and some patience. When I finally got the center out, I used a flat head to removing the metal casing. Boy, those RTABs were the original and after 160k miles LONG overdue. The two metals (bushing casing and trailing arm) had almost fused together through the years of NE weather, salt and debris. To install the new RTABS I rented a Bearing Press from Autozone for 106.25. Full refund is given once I return it. The new ones feel awesome. An alignment is definitely in check, I outlined the old brackets, but it still feels like its pulling-might consider a tow to BMW for an alignment.

Overall, the second RTAB was out in maybe 15 mins? the first one, I tried creating my own tool and when it wasnt working, I just went at it with the hammer and flathead.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The easiest way to remove the metal casing (as long as there is room) is to take a sawzall and gently cut into the metal while checking it and keeping it level with the surface... carefully cut down through the ring- then when you try to remove it, the ring can compress a little and will come out much easier. I do that method any time I meet an evil bushing that I cant seem to pull off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts