E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my RTABs replaced with UUC Poly Bushings at Motorcepts. I was suppose to go to their guy to get an alignment after (They said he can align the arms with a laser) but because of traffic, time, and my lack of wanting to drive in NYC, I did not.

Question: If i just go get a 4 wheel alignment somewhere else, Is it the same thing? Or is there some sort of other tool that is used to align the trailing arm?

I remember last time I got a 4 wheel alignment after doing my bushings, they did not touch the arms (Was hoping they would because i know that its impossible to place them perfectly aligned back in)

So how do I go about getting the car aligned with adjustment to the arms as well?

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
When you say arms, do you mean rear trailing arms? Rear toe is adjusted via the rear trailing arm with three 18mm bolts. The bolts must be torqued to 56 ft lbs IIRC. And yes it is essential to align the rear toe after an RTAB change. Do not let them use a 'gun' on these. Make sure you speak up. (using a gun to loosen is perfectly fine though)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh okay yeah I mean rear toe. But if I get the car aligned at an everyday shop... Will that automatically consist of adjusting the toe if needed?(which it will)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have gone without this alignment last summer after doing a similar maintenance. I thought drawing marks around the RTAB and bolt locations, I would not need alignment. I did not notice the difference until I did a burn out and my cars rear threw itself hard left on flat tarmac.

You think you can live without until you have to do hard braking or have to make a hard turn to avoid something, only to notice your cars ass is going the other way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts