E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After close to 50 hours of diligent assembling and compositing... my video from the RS*R Drift Festival is finally complete!



This event was the most fun I have had at a drift event to date... and the video reflects it 100%! A VERY SPECIAL THANKS to Deception Motorsports for providing me with footage of my competition runs: proving it's possible to make a Top 8 finish with an open differential (I'm in the black E46). "Orido says good smoke!" BIG UPS to DMVM for hooking it up!

Without further ado... enjoy the meyhem!

Right/Option click link and select Save Target As/Save File To Disk (Preferred method)
http://driftMechaniks.com/video/rsr_driftFestival~2004.wmv (19mb)
http://driftMechaniks.com/video/rsr_driftFestival~2004.mov (61mb)

Or, try streaming the video from the following URL: (Not-so-preferred method)
http://driftMechaniks.com/video_rsrDriftFestival2004.html
 

·
///Andrew Alewine
Joined
·
4,954 Posts
Mad props to drifting the E46 there. Damn I shhould of gone to that event :( Oh well, awsome video dude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Great work on the vid...

and

:thumbup: to the E46 drifting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys... thanks! I had such a great time at this event that I wanted to put in some work on the video. I'm glad you dig it!

The track was laid out near perfect - especially for my open diff. Everything was lined up nicely for a good run. I was very pleased to make top 16, let alone top 8!

This event was in Joliet, Illinios... which is about an hour outside of Chicago.
I can't wait until next year! I hope RS*R comes back to Route 66 Speedway!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahaha... yep - that's the setup!

I pulled the cf hood off, because it cracked after a hot track day. Other than that... the setup has been the same since that video. I've been dumping all my money in the out-of-state drift events trying to get as much seat time as I can.

The Kaaz LSD/3.46 combo should be completed and shipped back from diffsonline within two weeks... at which time, the open diff style will be no more. :) A cage is going in as soon as Formula D approves SCCA's rulebook for the series - which will solidify whether or not I need a 6-pt or 8-pt cage to participate. I need to re-do the suspension after that. I have a lot of work to do before the car is ready for next season.

I'm super stoked you guys like the videos! I'm always working on new ones... so I'll definitely keep you guys posted!
:D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,228 Posts
Andy - Awesome video bro... props for drifting your BMW!

I have to say props to that Elky too (I own a 72 SS, LOVE Elkys :thumbup: )

Also, f*cking awesome choice of music. I love Pantera... :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Absolutely awesome!Mad props bro! :bow: :thumbup: :thumbup:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,997 Posts
So it was raining tonight and i was bored so I went to an empty parking lot to try and drift, all I got was freaking wheel hop tho. I think it might be because of my tires (GSD3's) which are very well suited for the rain. So my question is what tires do you have and how good are they in the rain. And how do you usually initiate your drifts?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
284 Posts
i know this is off topic, but do you guys use bead locks at all? I'd think that you guys would spin the tire off at that angle if you let off the gas too much and dropped the rpms and the tire grabbed, just a thought and how hard is it to break the bead between the tire and the rim? :dunno:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,997 Posts
white01325 said:
i know this is off topic, but do you guys use bead locks at all? I'd think that you guys would spin the tire off at that angle if you let off the gas too much and dropped the rpms and the tire grabbed, just a thought and how hard is it to break the bead between the tire and the rim? :dunno:
Bead lock isnt necessary for drifting. You'd be surpised the force it takes it to break the bead on a 35" tire on a 15" rim with ~12psi(rock crawling). Add in the short and stiff sidewalls and ~35psi it would be almost impossible unless you hit a large change in conrete height.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Nice job, andysapp- I'm glad that someone is representing the E46s in the drift scene.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
vaio76109 said:
So it was raining tonight and i was bored so I went to an empty parking lot to try and drift, all I got was freaking wheel hop tho. I think it might be because of my tires (GSD3's) which are very well suited for the rain. So my question is what tires do you have and how good are they in the rain. And how do you usually initiate your drifts?
What gear were you in? Sometimes when I'm in first gear I'll get some wheel hop... but as soon as I shift to second, and my slide angle increases... it's gone. I don't really drift in first gear (well... now that the KAAZ is in place I get a few in). ;)

As far as tyres... I'm always trying something new on the rear. I use my type44's as drift wheels - and I get used tyres from a local shop here in Atlanta called Gran Turismo East. Generally 245.45.17's. What I've found works best for my driving style are Michelin Pilot Sports & Bridgestone Potenzas (can't remember the exact tyre models). BUT... they're always used... I wouldn't recommend using your daily driven tyres - you'll burn through'm quicker than you'd like. Contrary to what most people think... (when you start getting into higher speed drifts) you want your car set up more to grip in order to hold the slides with the most dependability. It's a strange science that I haven't quite figured out yet.

To initiate drifts in the rain (with an open diff)... I would pretty much turn the wheel and give it power until it broke loose & respond from there. On dry tarmac - I would use a weight shift by flicking the car in the opposing direction of the corner... then throwing the car back into the corner direction at which time heavy throttle application would initiate the slide.

Now that the KAAZ is in place... it's a different ballgame - the car snaps loose with minimal weight shift (almost none). The slides feel solid & I don't have to worry about kickback as much.

Anyway... I hope that helps a little. Good luck out there and BE SAFE!!!
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
vaio76109 said:
white01325 said:
i know this is off topic, but do you guys use bead locks at all? I'd think that you guys would spin the tire off at that angle if you let off the gas too much and dropped the rpms and the tire grabbed, just a thought and how hard is it to break the bead between the tire and the rim? :dunno:
Bead lock isnt necessary for drifting. You'd be surpised the force it takes it to break the bead on a 35" tire on a 15" rim with ~12psi(rock crawling). Add in the short and stiff sidewalls and ~35psi it would be almost impossible unless you hit a large change in conrete height.
That's a great question... no I don't use any sort of bead lock at all. I haven't heard of anyone else using any either - but there may be some people who do. As long as the tyre isn't underinflated, you shouldn't risk rolling the sidewall to the point of popping the bead. I used to run Falken ST-115's in the front - which have a soft sidewall... watching video where the camera was right next to the front wheel... I could see the sidewall flexing to the point that the rim was almost hitting the ground - but it didn't break the bead.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top