BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot of past posts and it seems that the concensus for launching in a non-racing scenario is around 1500 rpm. I used to launch around 2000 rpm, after reading the posts I tried launching at 1500 rpm and I noticed that I had to slip the clutch longer (well obviously cuz I'm launching at a lower rpm)

so the question is :
Which imposes more wear on the clutch? launching at slightly higher rpm but not sliping the clutch as much, or launching at lower rpm but sliping the clutch longer?

hm....

·
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai
2,443 Posts
.. I don't get it... how come you had to slip the clutch longer at a lower rpm.. ?? it doesn't really make sense to me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I might be totally wrong on this, its like you can't really pop the clutch when ur launching at 1200 rpm cuz the car will prob stall, but then you can pop the clutch when ur launching at like 2500rpm

Its basically like the lower rpm you launch at, the "easier" you have to let off the clutch

·
Registered
744 Posts
kk said:
well I might be totally wrong on this, its like you can't really pop the clutch when ur launching at 1200 rpm cuz the car will prob stall, but then you can pop the clutch when ur launching at like 2500rpm

Its basically like the lower rpm you launch at, the "easier" you have to let off the clutch
Well its either a $800 clutch or thousands for a new tranny. I rather do clutch slipping when its a slow car:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have to agree with kk on this one. I don't see how you can just pop the clutch at low RPMs without stalling. I could be wrong but I don't think there would be too much clutch wear by slipping the clutch at very low revs. I was always taught to gradually release the clutch as you gradually increase the revs. I remember stalling the car many times when I was learning by not giving it enough gas.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
Assuming you're launching smoothly, you should slip the clutch less at lower RPMs. This is just a practice thing. It's VASTLY easier to launch at 2000, but better to launch at 1000-1500. (Particularly since I often shift at 2500.)

Also, if you aren't doing this:
http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm
Try it. You'll be amazed at how much easier shifting is, once you adjust.

·
booo for body roll.
3,420 Posts
i lauch at about 1500ish and shift 2750

anyway, don't worry about your clutch and etc. it's just all part of driving a manual car. IMO i don't think u shoudl worry about launching at 2000 versus 1500 it just depends on ur skill level and how fast u wanna go ;)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
jun14scr said:
i lauch at about 1500ish and shift 2750

anyway, don't worry about your clutch and etc. it's just all part of driving a manual car. IMO i don't think u shoudl worry about launching at 2000 versus 1500 it just depends on ur skill level and how fast u wanna go ;)
Yeah, there's no real diff between 1500 & 2000 imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts