BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heu guys, I'm about to do my oil change on my 330i. The previous owner had serviced it with RP, I have Mobil1.
Is there any need to do a engine flush before switching to Mobil1? Is there anything I should look out for before doing this?

I used the search function before I made this topic. Could not find a answer.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
An oil like Mobil 1 0W-40 has excellent cleaning properties, so it would be a good choice.

The engine flush isn't necessary and some of them are very aggressive to the point of doing more harm than good.

Sticking with a quality oil and filter, along with a proper change interval, is sufficient.

If down the road you pull the valve cover and see a bunch of buildup, then look into some other options.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you feel like you need to "flush" your engine (you probably don't, but it's not like it's going to do any harm), a good option is to just up your oil change interval for a bit. Do a few 3000 mile or shorter changes with Mobil 1 0w40 and you'll probably get the exact same effect as running a cleaner through your crankcase.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Oil related problems in a modern car with modern oils are extremely rare. It's likely that you could run your car to 500k miles, easily, without any engine problems, with a completely out of spec oil. Conventional 15w40 for 5k mile OCIs, or 0w20 synthetic for 8k mile OCIs. It probably wouldn't matter as long as you changed it before it went bad.

Having said that, M1 5w30 is a pretty garbage oil for the price. Take a look online, read the specs it carries and the various UOAs. Its only positive attribute is its pour point, and even that, I think, has gone up.

Just look for something with ACEA A3/B3 and/or A3/B4. Or go with Castrol Edge 0w40, which is LL-01 approved--meaning its what you're supposed to be using in this car, the weight doesn't matter--and is available everywhere for ~$25 for a 5 quart jug. It's also a true synthetic and made in Germany. Most Mobil 1 oils are not "true" synthetics.

There's never any reason to do anything when switching oils. A lot of people use a different oil every time they change it.

If you just want to do a flush, use an idle only flush like Liqui Moly Professional. You pour it in before draining the old oil, let the car idle for 10-20 minutes, then drain it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts