BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow fanatics! I my beloved car has some issues now, well its suffers overall power loss plus very rough idle when cold, then getting better. I have read code and it came out to be P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Citcuit. Im going to change it but was wandering if anyone had any DIY guide or some tips on how to do it, and which brand to pick? From what i have seen there are Meyle - $ 63, Siemens - the best of course- most expensive around $90, Hamburg Technic - cheapest around $49. Which one would be recomended? Leaning towards Meyle.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I have read that it is best not to mess around with these sensors, and go for OEM - BMW sensors. Maybe someone knows who builds them for BMW, and can enlighten us. I imagine it is either Siemens or Meyle, but I am just guessing. Actually, I have one in my "Oh sh!t" box of parts. I will dig it out and see if the manufacturer is on the label. BRB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello again, so i have changed sensor to the Meyle, with new o ring and all. Problem persist. WHAT TO DO NOW? plus i have oil leak from valve cover gasket, very mad...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Well, first of all, don't get mad. Stay calm, and work through this. Now, the best thing to do would be to track the voltage for the sensor to the point it connects to the ECM, and make sure that the signal is actually making it to the processor. If the voltage is not present, or is not correct at the other end of the wiring harness, then there is a fault in the wiring. The wire could have been damaged at some point in the harness, and is grounding out, or is completely broken, and no signal is getting through. If it is correct at it's end point, then it could be the ECM, or whatever electronic module the signal goes to. I am being a little vague here because I am not 100% sure where this sensor wiring goes from the other end of the sensor, and I am not really interested in looking it up right now. But what I am trying to say is that this sensor wire runs somewhere, either to the ECM, or some other electronic module. So, it runs into the harness that plugs into this electronic module. Somewhere in the Bentley manual, it has the details about this. It will tell you what pin number it is on the harness, and which 2 pins on that harness are the positive and negative terminals for that sensor. It should also list what voltages should be present on those 2 pins, when the part is functioning correctly. You need to measure that voltage. If it is not present, or is not correct, then there is an issue with the wires from the sensor to the module, and that is your answer. If they are correct, then you would have to assume that the module itself is not functioning correctly. This is just basic diagnostics, and it is what you will need to do to isolate the problem definitively. This is what a technician would do. It is a pain, and it is no fun, but it is the next logical step. I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything, so please don't take it that way. But you have made the first logical step, you replaced the sensor. Now, you need to see if there is some other issue that is causing the signal the sensor is generating to fail to be received by the electronics controling the engine. Maybe someone else can give you more specifics about what harness to check, and exactly where it is, and what it connects to. But, if they don't, then you can find this info in the Bently manual, and test it for yourself. Good luck. This is turning into a much more involved diagnostic issue. It is too bad that it was not a simple sensor failure.
Also, there is a possibility that the valve cover oil leak is connected to this issue. Maybe the oil is leaking onto the wiring harness for this connector, and causing the signal to fail to get through. Of course, it is also possible that it is just a completely separate issue. That is just the way things go with any aging car, and even more so with e46 BMW's. I could share my list of separate, unrelated problems I have with my car. It is quite long, and I am not able to work on them at all at this time (actually, for the past 2 years - I have been dealing with Cancer, and unable to do much more than read DIY's for fixing my issues, whenever the day comes that I am well enough to start dealing with them...).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply friend! I understand that its to be more complex issue here. Well i read some more about similar situations, and it shows that sometimes it even not crankshaft sensor or even its wiring, its could be cam sensor, computer or other electronics. Well since oil leaking viciously and my camshaft on the left of the engine is covered in it, i would want to blame it on it... I would go to the crank sensor again, but that is hidden too far away, i barely can put my 2 fingers just to touch it, let alone testing some connections. - Which bothers me a lot, i like to be thorough. I wish just to take the whole thing out and rebuild from scratch. Plus i have 2 other cars which are in need of repairs. So over my head. Trying to sell one of them but still need to fix it up before. I know how you feel about DIY, i read so many of them also but not many see it realized.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi d8teen, did you ever resolve your Crankshaft Position Sensor error P0335? Please share. I have a similar problem even after replacing the sensor. Very frustrating.

Thanks, hope all is well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
did anybody resolve this? I just replaced my sensor and I also have a VCG leak going on on the passenger side. Code still persists.
Replaced with a Siemens unit from ECS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Georgie, I did resolve this on my 2005 330i. This issue (same code) had popped up twice for me. The first time was the sensor (which sounds like you already replaced). And then again, about 6 months later, it was the fuel pump (under the back seat on the passenger side) which explained the rough idle and the car chocking. It is recommended to replace the fuel filter while you're at it as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts