BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
a. did u go back to the same station? b. what brand of gas are u using? c. what octane did u use?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Go to an Autozone or something and get the codes read again. Post what the results are. Did the check engine light come on after the rough idling started? Might have something to do with it, we wont know until we know what the light is on for.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
In that case it most likely has a direct cause in the rough idling. Find out what the code is and post it here. From there we can give you a better idea of what the cause may be.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
If you are over 100,000 miles on the odometer then one or all of your oxygen sensors have gone bad
jeesh did anyone read what I wrote!???

He has ALL the symptoms of an old oxygen sensor.

1. sudden and abrupt drop in mpgs

2. rough idle

3. check engine lamp

4. codes suggesting something external to the engine.

If his car is over 100,000 miles then I bet my car it is the o2 sensors!!!!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Well kill of the tank to a 1/4, add a bottle of Chevron Techron and don't fill up at that station anymore.
that has nothing to do with anything here.

it is his oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Wait until he gets the codes.
His mechanic scanned it already and the mechanic said it was the oxygen sensors......only the OP didn't hear his mechanic at all.

:eeps:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had a similar situation, shortly after I filled up with gas it was idling rough, but I had no error light. It would sooth out when the RPMs went up. Turned out it was bad LCA bushings. The LCA was so worn that it was causing the car to shake with the motor. It just was dumb luck it happend after a fill up

·
Registered
571 Posts
I once put in bad gas in my car, and after 50-60km, it idled rough and had no power. CEL was also on.

Indy says they see it a lot after bad gas fill-ups. Clear the code and changed fuel filter, removed O2 sensor and cleaned it up and all is well. I think code was P0103.....

·
Registered
504 Posts
WHAT ARE THE CODES?????
External of the engine is like 90% of the car guy. You need codes to go on something, otherwise you are wasting everybody's time.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.