E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

This is my first post on these forums, but i have been helped countless times by many of these threads.
I have a 2004 325xi with 185000 kilometers on it.
When starting the car from a cold start the car has a rough and noisy idle and the rpm gage sits at the 1k. As the car warms up, the rpms go down to where they normally idle (600) and the cars idle becomes smooth and less noisy.This is especially true when starting the car after it has been outside overnight in chilly fall evenings and not in the garage.

I have no engine light codes and recently i took it to the shop who replaced my secondary air pump, spark-plugs and drive belt after which the problem seemed to have gone away. Recently with the colder nights, it has started doing it again in the morning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

RHC

·
Registered
847 Posts
Exactly like mine...

The 1K RPMS on cold is fine. The engine runs fine here too...

I don't get any bobbing on my gauge, it's very steady, but when it's being started for the first time on a cold day, I get a noisy idle like the one you describe...

I'm in need of a new belt and sparkies myself.

Interested in a response.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought i might have been the vanos seals but the shop says it would throw an engine code if it was. If it is the vanos, is it absolutely necessary to fix or is it something that can be lived with for now?

What is the DISA?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
noisy cold engine is nothing uncommon on an old car. I would suggest checking the oil level and use proper oil weight. however, you need to find where the noise is coming from.
vanos seals even very worn wont give a code cuz I replaced mine and I know it.
you can live with worn vanos but your power and mpg will suffer besides it very easy to do when you plan to replace the valve cover gasket.
DISA is the little box that contains a flap near the top of the engine on the driver side.
when its worn, it will make a grinding sound. you can test it by unplugging the plug when engine is running and observe the sound change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts