BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've been recently getting error codes for a misfiring ignition coil. Also, as a result whenever I stop at a light or a sign, the car begins to shake at idle. I've already replaced the coil, but the car still shakes. Anyone have any ideas? A tune-up maybe? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Did you check your plugs?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
ResidentSlacker said:
Yea juss changed em to Bosch Platinum
Did you torque the plugs to 18 ft-lb? These engines are VERY sensitive to having the plugs too loose or too tight. Sounds strange, but it's true.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slow323ci said:
Did you torque the plugs to 18 ft-lb? These engines are VERY sensitive to having the plugs too loose or too tight. Sounds strange, but it's true.
Could that really cause the rough idle?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
ResidentSlacker said:
Could that really cause the rough idle?
Hell yeah! First time I changed my plugs I didn't get two of them quite tight enough and the engine ran really rough and actually stalled a few times.

Went back in with my torque wrench and voila! purrs like a kitten.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
dbtheo said:
As I found out when I did my swap, when one goes bad the others normally follow....It's best to replace all.
Yeah, that's true, I replaced all my coils after 2 went bad.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
ResidentSlacker said:
Do you guys think it could be a tune-up problem?
There's really no "tune up" involved. A tune up on our cars consists of replacing the spark plugs and various filters. We don't even have spark plug wires, the coils sit right on top of the spark plugs. You can't adjust idle speed, timing, or any of that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just changed my belts, now my car idles like crap, the belts are on properly, and I also checked my fault codes, they were Ca, 9a, 97, e4, e3, ee, f2, f0,
& f3, so the f's are misfires and the others have to do with the oxygens sensors? has anyone had these symptoms at all, or similar, how did you solve it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
yes but it just all of a sudden??? I checked my codes the other day when I started having this problem, and I had 4 misfires but 2 of the original ones are gone ?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
There's really no "tune up" involved. A tune up on our cars consists of replacing the spark plugs and various filters. We don't even have spark plug wires, the coils sit right on top of the spark plugs. You can't adjust idle speed, timing, or any of that kind of stuff.
It's not a bad idea to change the sparkplug boot, too. These connect the coils to the plugs, and they go bad after awhile.:excited:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts