E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i hope you can help.

I have a 2003 E46 318i,
Here are the Symptoms:
very rough idle - the entire car shakes with the rough idle,
rev needle dances at the 700rpm level, very shaky
today noticed backfiring i think - its like when you shoot an air gun(that sound),
when taking off, if take off releasing the clutch slowly, it doesnt shudder or anything so i think that it can't be the clutch,
when gently touching the accelerator pedal on idle, the rev drops down low almost stalling the engine,
then on take off, have to rev up to 1500revs and then take off or else there is no pulling off power, the engine just dies, have to quickly throw the clutch in and rev up,
on take off once rev up to 1500rpm and then with the car moving, with the revs below almost 2000rpm, press the accelerator lightly cos sitting on traffic, the car starts to jerk furiously until the clutch is enganged or when the accelerator is pressed in abit then it accelerates without stuttering/jerking

could this be running on 3cyl?

have been scouring the net for solutions and help but people have been confusing me cos some say that the 318i has a vanos unit and some say it doesn't because it is a 4 cyl engine and only 6 cyl engines has a vanos unit. can someone please clear this up for me.

can anyone please help me with a solution or point me in the right direction as i don't wanna pay an arm and a leg at BMW as can perform DIY jobs

Really hoping that someone can assist me with a solutions based on your experiences. as alot of people have had this same problem but none of them was not kind enough to post their solution

hoping that you guys can help

Much thanks in advance

Jeran Scott

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
sorry for your trouble. I don't know much about the 318i but there are plenty of people here that are much smarter than me and I am sure they will comment. my only advice is try to get your car scanned for any error codes. that will be your first step because without any codes then everything is a guessing game.

I hope this helps. good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. so i got the error codes read and it brings up P0030 HO2S Heater Control Circuit

What do i need to do to fix this?

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts