BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically my front rotors are pretty warped and brake pads are almost non existant after this weekend :mischief: (bmw run pics here http://beta.propichosting.com/Album.aspx?folder=450016270) So I was looking at some Brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors for the front as well as AXXIS or pbr high performance pads all round. Would you guys suggest anything else? I was just wondering. Thank in advance this board owns ;)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
those rotors are for looks basically, get the brembo oem blanks, and axxis pads and your set.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just wondering, why should I go with Brembo OEM blanks when I can get a killer deal on some cross drilled / slotted, I thought those were better for stopping distance as well as not warping due to the better heat disapation!?!?!

·
Registered
28,980 Posts
Stoptech Stage 2 brake kit = :drool:

Get axxis deluxe plus pads and slotted rotors and you will not only get OEM quality stopping power but you will also get good looking rotors and almost no brake dust

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone send me so links to the brake kits you have been talking about. I'm going to get 2 new front rotors (brembo cross drilled / slotted) along w/ 4 new pads (AXXIS or pbr), installed for about $300. Unless I can find something compareable I think i'm doing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Would the axxis pads work with an "xi" ? I need to replace the front pads and rotors as well...

Thanks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ As far as I know (sorry I'm kinda a BMW noob) but I beleive 330's have have larger rotors and pads than other 3 series.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got off the phone with my mechanic, he informed me that I should only go performance rotors on the front (if i want to save some $$$) since the back rotors usually have 2x or more then the normal life of the front.

·
Registered
28,980 Posts
Just got off the phone with my mechanic, he informed me that I should only go performance rotors on the front (if i want to save some $$$) since the back rotors usually have 2x or more then the normal life of the front.
so you are saying you would get performance rotors in the front BECAUSE they would wear out faster? That doesn't really make sense... now if you are going to put performance rotors in front because they do most of the braking, that makes sense.

Go with stoptech stage 2 brake kit... its about 600 + 500 for installation but is worth the money

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
so you are saying you would get performance rotors in the front BECAUSE they would wear out faster? That doesn't really make sense... now if you are going to put performance rotors in front because they do most of the braking, that makes sense.

Go with stoptech stage 2 brake kit... its about 600 + 500 for installation but is worth the money
i think he meant to say that his mechanic told him to get performance rotors in the front so they last longer since the fronts tend to wear out faster.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you HAVE to get either slotted or drilled, go with the slotted. Drilled can warp or crack more quickly. But as pointed out above, blanks are the best... drilled have negligable surface area increase to dissipate heat, but are more prone to stress fractures. Slotted will help you if you're auto-x'ing in mud, snow, or rain... are you? Pick some good aftermarket pads... hawk, axxis, pagid, porterfield, etc... all will have less brake dust than stock, with equal or better cfs.
Also, the number one thing you can do if you want to stop better is buy better tires... have you done that yet?

·
Registered
28,980 Posts
If you HAVE to get either slotted or drilled, go with the slotted. Drilled can warp or crack more quickly. But as pointed out above, blanks are the best... drilled have negligable surface area increase to dissipate heat, but are more prone to stress fractures. Slotted will help you if you're auto-x'ing in mud, snow, or rain... are you? Pick some good aftermarket pads... hawk, axxis, pagid, porterfield, etc... all will have less brake dust than stock, with equal or better cfs.
Also, the number one thing you can do if you want to stop better is buy better tires... have you done that yet?
so true... if you are looking for performance stopping, make sure you have already spent money on the four contact points...

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Stage 2 looks nice, but I don't see an application for the (xi) AWD...

·
Registered
28,980 Posts
All the cross drilled and slotted rotors do is chew up the pads a lot faster
not entirely true... they do provide for much better heat dispersion which is great if you auto cross or do any tracking... if you are simply buying them for street application, then the only advantage is that they look nice... in my car, that was the motivating factor for purchase... and there is nothing wrong with that

1 - 20 of 22 Posts