E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
M Sport 320CD convertible
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
When my roof goes down these parts both sides dont come back up like the photo iv circled they stick in iv got to pull them up myself.
How do i fix this please.
Many thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,906 Posts
I presume you have a pre-facelift? If so you need to replace the spring under the cover. Would also make sense to spray a little silicon lube (the kind that dries) into the tracks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I presume you have a pre-facelift? If so you need to replace the spring under the cover. Would also make sense to spray a little silicon lube (the kind that dries) into the tracks
Sorry mate no mines a facelift 2005

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,906 Posts
In that case, you have a direct connection to the roof frame with no spring. I would try the lube, and I would make sure the actuator (the piece of plastic from the frame to cover) is connected to the frame and not loose or broken. If you open the roof 1/2 way you should be able to see it and wiggle it.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Many times, the springs just breaks through the cover making the hole for the spring into a useless slot and the spring is left hanging on the mechanism. Repairing the cover is easy. I used a piece of tin cut from a tin can, folded over and epoxied into place. I then drilled a new hole for the sprint to attach to.
Fluid Gas Composite material Electric blue Auto part

But alas, another post here says there is no spring on facelift models?

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,906 Posts
Many times, the springs just breaks through the cover making the hole for the spring into a useless slot and the spring is left hanging on the mechanism. Repairing the cover is easy. I used a piece of tin cut from a tin can, folded over and epoxied into place. I then drilled a new hole for the sprint to attach to.
View attachment 943558

But alas, another post here says there is no spring on facelift models?
That is pre-facelift. His car has a rigid actuator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a good look today and the both of them stay down when roof goes down
There is some sort of wire coming off both of the trims flap on mine but dont seem.to be attatched to anything any ideas please guys
2005 facelift many thanks

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I had a good look today and the both of them stay down when roof goes down
There is some sort of wire coming off both of the trims flap on mine but dont seem.to be attatched to anything any ideas please guys
2005 facelift many thanks
RealOEM shows there is a SPRING on that cover, part #13 in the diagram. You may be looking at it dangling on the cover. The other end, at least on my 2002 Cabriolet, attaches to a point on the folding mechanism itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts