BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got a chance to roll my rear fenders this past weekend, and it was such a hassle because of the sticky rubber lining, I couldn't roll as far as I needed to.

Anyway, I figured since I had the roller, might as well do the front fenders, that was a mistake. It was EASY, but I didn't realize it would cause a problem with the fender liner, it doesn't "hold" along the edge as well as at use to. I definitely didn't need to do it since there wasn't that much to roll.

So, through my experience, I'm hoping to help someone prevent making this same mistake.

I like it low and flush, so I was going to put in some spacers, but now I think I'll just leave it alone.

As a side note, the front fenders on a non-M e46 are not as wide or deep, so if you go really low, you will rub on the front.
*** Correction: Facelifted e46's seem to look like they have more room ***

As for the rear, pay a pro to do it, it's not worth the time/effort to do it yourself, unless you can't find a local pro.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Did you use a heat gun as well on the rear? You need a lot of heat so the metal has some give to it. I had a guy who was good at rolling fenders do the rears in my Civic and he had a heat gun / fender roller tool. Charged $100+ for each car and it looked pretty easy, probably made a killing doing it!

·
Registered
527 Posts
you got 2 options with the rear,
#1 remove the rubber/tar sealer.
#2 use a heat gun to make the rubber/tar more malleable. in my car we used the heat gun and just took it slow, got everything nice and warm and went from there. you can do it yourself, just need to look up what your doing before hand.

Didn't even bother with the fronts on my car..... the wheels fit fine.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely used a heat gun, didn't want the paint to crack.

I even tried to dremel that crap out.

@Michel: Where and how much of the lining should I cut? I don't want to remove it, as it offers some protection for the headlights and engine bay.

Has anyone cut the lining, any advice?

I do have a staggered setup, and the wheels fit fine. I did want to put spacers to make it flush, and that's part of the reason I rolled, but another thing is that sometimes I do dumb things, this was one of those times :banghead:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taking out the seam sealer

For all having trouble taking out the seam sealer/rubbery stuff that is in the rear fender lip

use your heat gun and heat up the rubber, it will start to seperate it from the fender lip.

It will separate it enough to get a screwdriver or a prying tool in there and you should be able to pull it out in big chunks

·
Sofa-king-what
1,975 Posts
For all having trouble taking out the seam sealer/rubbery stuff that is in the rear fender lip

use your heat gun and heat up the rubber, it will start to seperate it from the fender lip.

It will separate it enough to get a screwdriver or a prying tool in there and you should be able to pull it out in big chunks
First post but 100% correct !!!

dd mine years ago with no problems at all.
removed the black mastic sealant, heat the surface, and roll (with fender roller o by the ghetto method with a baseball bat, it's up to you).

instead of rolling you can also consider to cut the inner portion on the U, but the you need to weld and repaint.

pay attention to the screw that holds the rear bumper, dpending on the channel,ET and tyre combo that you have, tyre may rub against that (and cut the tyre)

·
Registered
23 Posts

This.

I paid a pro to do mine and the first 20 mins on each of the rears was heating up the lip (after removing the liner) and then scraping out the rubber. The liners were clipped a little bit on the edges that are near the rear bumper... then the rolling started - slow and steady. The fronts don't need doing.

I enjoyed reading this as i'm the one who normally does stuff for no reason! Thanks for posting :bow:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts