BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about using a Rogue IKON on my car, but I do not have any catalytic converters and Rogue told me that it will likely be too loud. Does anyone here have a Rogue IKON on there E46 with no cats that can attest to the volume of the exhaust after the change?

I'm not looking to make my exhaust louder than it is now, I just want to make the exhaust note deeper since the stock exhaust has it sounding somewhat raspy and high pitched since the cats were removed.

BTW, I had considered the DMS but since it removes the center resonator I decided against it. I'm fairly certain that the IKON keeps both resonators intact.

Thanks.

·
Registered
981 Posts
So you have headers?

I think you might want to put a resonator in there and then the ikon. or just stick with the ikon and loud exhaust itll sound sweet

·
Registered
589 Posts
If it wasn't clear, yes, I have headers. Why/where would I put a resonator... I already have the two OEM resonators on the car.
I think the previous poster was under the impression that you didn't have resonators. I would try it without at first. Welding a resonator back on shouldn't cost you more than 40-60 bucks at a muffler shop.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the previous poster was under the impression that you didn't have resonators. I would try it without at first. Welding a resonator back on shouldn't cost you more than 40-60 bucks at a muffler shop.
I don't want it to be any louder though so there is 0 reason for me to take out a resonator. I'm trying to get change the pitch of the exhaust note, not the volume.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It won't be that loud at all. I had headers with stock exhaust and an Ikon. Sounded beautiful.
So you've had headers the both my stock exhaust setup that I have now (well probably a little different since I have a ZHP), and then later upgraded to the Rogue IKON?

How would you describe the difference in volume when going between the two?

Also, how would you describe the change in pitch?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I don't want it to be any louder though so there is 0 reason for me to take out a resonator. I'm trying to get change the pitch of the exhaust note, not the volume.
So you've had headers the both my stock exhaust setup that I have now (well probably a little different since I have a ZHP), and then later upgraded to the Rogue IKON?

This is what I want to do too.... I am NOT happy with the tone of the exhaust note now that I have headers and the stock ZHP exhaust. I have a whole thread alll about it. IF you do this let me know how it works out for you!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what I want to do too.... I am NOT happy with the tone of the exhaust note now that I have headers and the stock ZHP exhaust. I have a whole thread alll about it. IF you do this let me know how it works out for you!
Will do, but hopefully Aggie can chime in since I think he already has this setup.

·
Keep it clean
7,984 Posts
I had:

Headers on a TSE3 - Way too loud, only sounded good at WOT at high RPMs

Headers on TSE3 w/ cats - barely made a difference, just a tad less shrill. Not worth installing cats if you're trying to do it to reduce noise

Headers on stock exhaust - Sounded like it wanted to sound good, but failed

Headers with ZHP muffler - Sounded slightly better than stock

Headers with Rogue Ikon - I was told my car made my friend (a guy) want to drop his panties for me. Sounded really good. Not too loud, just deep and mean with a growl at the top.

Right now I have stock everything, but I should have headers within 2 weeks and I'm going to be picking up the HKS after that. I've heard that the HKS is pretty mellow, so I think it'll sound good. I just want a full cat-back. The Ikon will sound good, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had:

Headers on a TSE3 - Way too loud, only sounded good at WOT at high RPMs

Headers on TSE3 w/ cats - barely made a difference, just a tad less shrill. Not worth installing cats if you're trying to do it to reduce noise

Headers on stock exhaust - Sounded like it wanted to sound good, but failed

Headers with ZHP muffler - Sounded slightly better than stock

Headers with Rogue Ikon - I was told my car made my friend (a guy) want to drop his panties for me. Sounded really good. Not too loud, just deep and mean with a growl at the top.

Right now I have stock everything, but I should have headers within 2 weeks and I'm going to be picking up the HKS after that. I've heard that the HKS is pretty mellow, so I think it'll sound good. I just want a full cat-back. The Ikon will sound good, you won't be sorry.
Thanks for the detailed info. I'm curious though, why are you moving to Technik headers and an HKS exhaust if you are happy with your current setup?

·
Keep it clean
7,984 Posts
My current setup is stock. I got mad at my car and started selling everything off. I had a change of heart.

Thanks for the detailed info. I'm curious though, why are you moving to Technik headers and an HKS exhaust if you are happy with your current setup?

·
Keep it clean
7,984 Posts
False promises by a few vendors. Had a really hard time getting things how I wanted them. Started realizing that for what I had spent, I could have a much faster 350z. Sold everything, realized that the value of my car was about $4k lower than I had thought it would be. Now, I've just decided to take my time, have fun, get things right before moving on, and drive my car until the wheels fall off.

That's too bad, what happened to your car that upset you so much :cry:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
False promises by a few vendors. Had a really hard time getting things how I wanted them. Started realizing that for what I had spent, I could have a much faster 350z. Sold everything, realized that the value of my car was about $4k lower than I had thought it would be. Now, I've just decided to take my time, have fun, get things right before moving on, and drive my car until the wheels fall off.
Aggie it seems like you have good experience with this stuff...can you give a little input on my thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=679320&highlight=

Sorry dont mean to threadjack or anything

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Word, good info Aggie! Guess Rogue Ikon it is for me too :) Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@///A, that actually sounds much louder than my ZHP exhaust. Is it?

I just put a Conforti Shark Intake on my ZHP today and things are actually sounding much better, I'm going to test it out for a week and see if I'm content with things or if I need to try something else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts