E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed my new-to-me Rogue Engineering El Diablo :evil: muffler. The majority of the install went super smooth, which I'll attribute to the car staying in California, and a garage, for the entirety of it's life. There was one issue I couldn't figure out though. The brackets that bring together the section 2 and the muffler would not come any closer to each other than maybe 1/4 of an inch. I used high temp silicone for a better seal, but i cannot tell if it is still too loose. There isn't any leaking odor or exhaust from what i can tell, but above 3k RPM the drone is slightly annoying. Not terrible but definitely present. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
They shouldn't come all the way together because there is a gasket that looks like a beveled ring between the two. You can play with this for the tip adjustment if needed. It is hard to remove drone from an exhaust on the M3 unless there just isn't any. Any exhaust is going to sound louder/drone more than the stock exhaust. Make sure the exhaust hangers are torqued to 14-15 ft-lbs. it is possible you've over torqued and the rubber isn't doing its job as best it can.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I just wanted to be completely certain. I used the silicone to seal the beveled rings, but I've definitely over torqued them by probably 8-10 ft lbs. Easy adjustment. And I just wasn't certain how much drone the exhaust would have. Everyone has different opinions on what is bad or not. It doesn't bug me, I just didn't know why to expect.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yea I installed a status gruppe muffler and it was annoying in the 2-3k rpm range. Driving on the highway or around town was just terrible. I did the hangers and added a little dynamat to the trunk to eliminate most of the drone, but there is still an annoying low frequency under load at low RPMs (common with all aftermarket exhausts on the M3). People claim the rogue is pretty quiet and the scorza sounds like stock from inside but amazing outside. I'm very skeptical about anything other than stock not droning, but I really dislike the stock box.

Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,977 Posts
it really is subjective, but almost all aftermarket exhausts drone. some much more than others. i had the RE El Diablo on less than 3 weeks before I sold it because the drone was more than I wanted at certain rpm. but there are worse out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.