BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RK3 "illumiknob" DIY

I got my RK3 illumiknob few days ago. any DIY written out there? any tips on the installation???

i read the instruction that came with the knob and it said i have to wire tap the converter box to the power source and then plug the knob to the converter box. when i'm doing the wire tap to the power source, do i have to unplug the battery or something??

any comments are appreciated... ;)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
you don't really have to unply the wire, unless you don't trust yourself with the install. i always just leave the battery plugged when doing installs, athought there are some times when you might accidentally ground a power wire and short something, then you'll have to go find out what it is! just unplug it to be on the safe side:thumbup:

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
Post some pics of the knob you got, I'd like to see what it looks like, because I really need to get rid of this OEM shift knob I have.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
Still waiting on my replacement RK3 knob (first one was damaged when it got to me...) wish i could help u out, hope the install goes :thumbup:

-brendan

·
Still around...
1,788 Posts
Simple way..

remove your shift boot... remove the windows switches, then remove trim around shifter... look in and under the ashtray now, you will see a tiny plug that is the power and gorund (brown wire) for the small light in the ashtray(which is worthless IMO).. You can just unplug the plug, and stick the ends of the wires from the control unit in there, and tape them up, OR tap into the wires so the stupid little lite in the ashtray stays functional.

I dont remember exactly how the UUC Instructions read, as I was the first to have, directly after the first one was ever made, and just wired it up myself... Start to finish, 15mins.. taking your time and being neat.

Now get some UUC Visionwerks to match that awsome knob! :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
I should be getting my illuminated RK3 Monday or Tuesday. I will post install pics if someone hasn't by then.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Krix330cic(NJ) said:
Simple way..

remove your shift boot... remove the windows switches, then remove trim around shifter... look in and under the ashtray now, you will see a tiny plug that is the power and gorund (brown wire) for the small light in the ashtray(which is worthless IMO).. You can just unplug the plug, and stick the ends of the wires from the control unit in there, and tape them up, OR tap into the wires so the stupid little lite in the ashtray stays functional.

thanks Krix330cic(NJ) for the tip. just to clarify, if u have no need for the ashtray light, you can just unplug the it and connect it directly to the plug straight from the knob. so i have no need for the converter box. is that correct?

can someone confirm this? Rob?

thanks! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts