E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok got the RK3 and installed it right away, gotta tell you this makes the SSK amazing!!! the shift are crips, precise and smooth as butter. i'm loving the new setup. I went with the Stainless Steel rk3, b/c i like the shifter to feel solid and smooth but not like i have to muscle the car into gear. I like it to feel a little more refined than that.

I love this set up.

SSK + RK3 = :D

all 3 knobs side by side.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my other snow day projects... silver rings and painter needles.

i really love the way the needles look from the side angles.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes it does light up. it was cake since i had the wiring already done for the //m illum knob. in fact i lef the previous wiring assembly in place so i can switch between the two knobs when i want a change. Maybe in the summer when it's 99 degrees and my car has been sitting alll day i'll want the m knob back.

the light of the knob is fainter than the red m knob, i had to tuck in under my shirt to see it... i'll take pics at night to show how well it really lights up. it's a nice orange light that should blend better with the bmw lighting.

I used a red sharpie for the needles. just a couple of coats, wait a minute or two in between. the needles look badassed in person. I've ordered nrauto gauges, but i may wait a little while before i put them on as i'm really liking this set up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cirlce bmw i believe... i don't have the part number handy but the parts guy and I talked it over and he found the part for me. it's about 115$ and you'll have to run some sort of power to the knob. I ran power from the little light on the LHS of the ask tray (i think there's more than enough light from above) down in to the shifter area and crimp the wires and you are set.

The m knob illumintes a real deep red btw, like the temp arrow ^ on your heating.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
immensely... i found the SSK to be a little harsh. My mechanic edidn't recommend the delrin bushings. so ididn't install them, my original review is here:

SSK review

with the RK3 the shifts are close to effortless while still feeling tight and crisp... it's like a firm little nudge and the shifter responds.

·
Knight Rider
59 Posts
Do the lights corilated to what gear your in?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
3Wagon said:
Is the effort similar to stock?
yeah... in fact it's closer to what stock feels like once the stock shifter is broken in. very smooth.

Do the lights corilated to what gear your in?
umm... it lights up the pattern and looks nice. it's puurty.

for example: (except i got the 5 sp version)

Attachments

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
923 Posts
palooka, did painting the needles with 1-2 coats of red sharpie significantly change the color of the needles when illuminated at night?

do they no longer match the bmw orange or do they still?

EDIT: by the way, my brushed aluminum RKIII is in the mail, and i cant wait for the ssk to come out for the xi. my one question, why did your guy say not to get the bushings? do they make it harsher? did you get the cartridge bearings upgrade?

thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
bookus11 said:
palooka, did painting the needles with 1-2 coats of red sharpie significantly change the color of the needles when illuminated at night?
why did your guy say not to get the bushings? do they make it harsher? did you get the cartridge bearings upgrade?
yes a couple of coats with the sharpie is needed. after one or two i felt it still looked a little too pink for my tastes. the red loks real deep in the pics but it look bada**ed in person.
you can see night pics here: (scroll 1/2 way down)
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63381

i'm not sure why he said the bearing upgrade wasn't necessary but I know the guy and he knows his stuff and I plan on using his shop for a good long time so I went with it. If anything i think going without it makes the shift harsher. I think your wil be smoother with the new extras *once they're broken in.

either way - you'll love it. the RK3 Alum is a fairly big increase over stock shift weight so you'll notice a nice decrese in shift effort. the Stainless Steel is a monster so my shift effort is decresed dramatically.

Enjoy! I know you'll love it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
simsima325 said:
wow looks like my interior! (minus M3 wheel) RK3 + Myrtle Wood Trim... :D

-brendan
hey, I've been meaning to email you. I saw you were up in A-town and I went to school at Lafayette back in 98. jeez i feel old.

I wasn't your typical lafayette student... not being pigmentally challenged let's say :eeps: and coming from a philly public school.
But i used to hang out in Easton/Phillipsburg all the time. We hung out in Allentown all the time and used to :flipoff: the exit for Lehigh on 22 b/c my best friend's girl went there and eventually cheated on him with some punkass from lehigh -- and we generally were supposed to hate lehigh anyway:)

are toyota corollas still the shiznits that everyone drive up there? my buddy's corolla got stolen like 3 times. each time they fround it in A-town.
e

1 - 20 of 35 Posts