E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to buy some wheels for my e46 2000 328ci on stock suspension right now rocking the stock 16s. found online rims for sale from a 96 e36 17 inch. good deal 350 dollars. kind of concerned about rubbing and fitment. serious replies only. i attacted an image of the rims as seen from the listing I dont know the style of these rims they look like bbs to me? if anybody has any infomation at all if they will fit will my e46 lemme know. im probably going to buy them anyway and worse comess to worse sell them.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
6,034 Posts
Those are Style 42s, and they look like E39 fitment, which have ~20mm lower offset than the E46 (the wheels will stick out too far).

It's a shame; they're great-looking wheels. Style 42s are available in E46 fitment (they were OEM for the 328i and Z3) but they're easily recognizable as being 1-piece (no bolts around the rim).

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,991 Posts
17x??
also ask seller the offset numbers on the backside. GL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are Style 42s, and they look like E39 fitment, which have ~20mm lower offset than the E46 (the wheels will stick out too far).

It's a shame; they're great-looking wheels. Style 42s are available in E46 fitment (they were OEM for the 328i and Z3) but they're easily recognizable as being 1-piece (no bolts around the rim).
sadly i think this is true they do look alot like e39 wheels which is a shame because i like the style of them.. My next choice is e46 the m sport wheels 17s. found a guy selling off a wrecked 330ci for 250 good deals all around

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
6,034 Posts
sadly i think this is true they do look alot like e39 wheels which is a shame because i like the style of them.. My next choice is e46 the m sport wheels 17s. found a guy selling off a wrecked 330ci for 250 good deals all around
Style 68s? 250 is a good price for a staggered set. I love mine. Lightweight and attractive.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
The Z3 version had the bolts, I seem to remember...
I'd ask more questions, because that doesn't
seem to be a bad deal at all....

t

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
6,034 Posts
The Z3 version had the bolts, I seem to remember...
I'd ask more questions, because that doesn't
seem to be a bad deal at all....

t
It's a 2-piece wheel, so the the Style 42 centers had rims with a higher offset on the Z3. The E39 42s are FAR more common though. Still---you're right; it's worth asking questions.

·
Registered
2004 330i ZHP 4D Imola/Alcantera
1,685 Posts
The z3 2 piece style 42s are staggered at 7.5 inches wide up front and 8.5 inches in the rear. They have a shallow lip up front and a deeper lip in the rear.

The e39 2 piece style 42s are square with all the rims 8 inches wide. They have a much deeper lip than either of the z3 wheels. And as others have stated the offset is much lower.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
16 Posts
The z3 2 piece style 42s are staggered at 7.5 inches wide up front and 8.5 inches in the rear. They have a shallow lip up front and a deeper lip in the rear.

The e39 2 piece style 42s are square with all the rims 8 inches wide. They have a much deeper lip than either of the z3 wheels. And as others have stated the offset is much lower.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
The offset won't be the biggest issue, it's the bore size. E39 uses a 74.1 mm bore, E36 uses 72.6. It's an easy fix. Style 42's are the some of the best looking factory BMW wheels IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.