E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right xenon front headlight sometimes flickers and turns off for awhile and then turns back on. Does anyone else have the same problem? Is the xenon bulb about to burn out?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a similar problem. The right xenon would turn off and not come back on. I'd have to flick all the lights off and then turn them back on to get the right side to come back on.

To isolate the problem, I suggest you swap the bulbs moving the right xenon bulb into the left headlight housing and the left xenon bulb into the right headlight housing.

This way you can tell if its a ballast/igniter problem or the problem is the bulb itself. (BTW check to see if your right side xenon bulb is made by OSRAM, just curious) I swapped mine and it turned out the bulb was the problem, so I just ordered a set of Philips 6000K Ultinons.

Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Mod Squad
10,010 Posts
It could also be something simple like the connections just being loose. Make sure everything is Gut-and-tight. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly whats happening. I had to flick the lights off and then turn them back on to get the right side xenon to come back on. I'll make sure all the connections are tight first like what Russ330 said. If that doesn't work, I'll try swapping the light bulb from left to right. Thanks! :)

gig said:
I had a similar problem. The right xenon would turn off and not come back on. I'd have to flick all the lights off and then turn them back on to get the right side to come back on.

To isolate the problem, I suggest you swap the bulbs moving the right xenon bulb into the left headlight housing and the left xenon bulb into the right headlight housing.

This way you can tell if its a ballast/igniter problem or the problem is the bulb itself. (BTW check to see if your right side xenon bulb is made by OSRAM, just curious) I swapped mine and it turned out the bulb was the problem, so I just ordered a set of Philips 6000K Ultinons.

Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
A little, it's noticeable. But I gotta say that I also replaced my headlight covers (the clear plastic part) and with the pitting from pebbles and road debris gone the light output was practically the same. I'd say go for it! :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts