BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
My E46 woke up this morning with the right blinker that keep flashing even if the commend is off.
The only way to turn it off is switching on the driving lights and push on brakes!

I am a bit puzzled.

Already checked: bulbs, cables, steering wheel (moved up/down, in/out), battery removed for more than 2 hours.

To do: uncover the sterreing wheel and check the blinker command.

Help me please!

Thank you

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sounds like you have a short or a bad ground. I would check electrical connections and make sure they are clean and secure. I know you said you checked some stuff but maybe you missed this. It could be dirty/rusted/corroded and would need removing, cleaning and putting back on with a good connection.

HTH.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
The ONLY way the turn signals can blink is if they are told to do so. This happens through the turn signal stalk -- combination switch.

You can check fuses and grounds when the lights DO NOT blink when told to, but when they blink without command, the switch itself has to be the place to start your search for things to replace.

AND you discovered that if you alter the settings selected by the turn signal stalk, the problem changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK but is the interaction between the "turn signal stalk -- combination switch" and brakes light? Grounding?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts