BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a 330ci 2001, i relize that there is a 1.2cm height difference on my car on the front wheel, i have asked my local gargae to check it, and nth is bend or anything, the spring shock are fine as well, it is on the right side of the car that is down, he told me that is becasue of the fuel tank position.
do u guys have the same problem. thankyo

·
Registered
289 Posts
i also have a slight difference between the two front wheels.
my right side is lower by about 15mm also.

be good to know if it is just that way. i thought being the drivers side it was the spring or shock just worn more than the other side due to driver always being in the car.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's common for right side to be lower than left.. search to see.. M3's like that too. The driver side sits slightly higher.

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
The left is always higher on our cars to compensate for the added weight of the driver. When the driver gets in the car then it's level.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
^^ :werd:

there are tons of threads about this

·
Registered
289 Posts
yes but in the uk we drive right hand side. would they not swap the springs over for us then when built so that the right side dont sit alot lower when driver is in?

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
yes but in the uk we drive right hand side. would they not swap the springs over for us then when built so that the right side dont sit alot lower when driver is in?
Forgot about that, then yours should be higher on the right.

·
Registered
814 Posts
yea actually the battery is what offsets all of this, not the suspension it's uniform from overseas to the USA. the battery sits i believe either on the opposite side of the trunk in europe, or the opposite side of the car but actually in the hood in europe. Either way, the battery is on the opposite side of the driver in all BMWs regardless of which part of the world they are produced for. as stated, it's to counteract the weight of the driver to attain near perfect lateral balance

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ride height should be measured with a FULL tank of fuel, corrected tire pressures, and weighted accordingly. Its the initial step of a 'correct' BMW 4 wheel alignment.

If all that has been done accordingly, the first place I would look would be the shock towers. Pop your hood and check the 3 bolts that hold the strut bearing into each side. Those 3 studs that stick up through the tower should be perfectly level. If you have hit a pothole or something in the road, there is a good chance the towers might be 'mushroom'd' out.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Check your rear shock mounts. if they are blown the rear of the car will sit lower then then front. ask me how I know :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts