BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I explain this weird ass noise? I swear it’s happened to both the cars I owned that are manual.
It usually happens between 2 / 3 / 4 gears on the up shift when I release the clutch, almost like a wound spring that gets released?
It makes me feel like I don’t know how to drive a manual after a decade of this happening.
It comes and goes, usually I want to say after the engine warms up because in the morning I actually have a “lack of air” problem when I accelerate.
If you’ve ever played on those pianos with the multi keys/tones that allow you to change the instrument - it literally sound like a frog making a ribbit noise or a spring being pulled back and suddenly released.
Any ideas?

I am thinking of taking a video somehow to give you guys more insight on what the hell it could be.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the video I took.. am happy to take more I swear it happens so much that getting it on video I was like OH SHIT IT CAN BE HEARD.

shift from 1-2 happens around 19 second mark and then distinct RIBBIT sound at the 20 mark

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,870 Posts
sorry I don’t see vid

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From like the 19 second mark until 22 seconds.... sorry for long video.

it goes click click (shift from 1-2) then RIBBIT

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The event happens at intervals 19-21.

The shift goes click click at 19 seconds.

20 seconds you hear the ribbit.

It sounds like a spring? Sometimes I can be in 2nd gear and accelerate slightly, let go the gas and I will hear the ribbit noise.

If you can imagine the spring noise on those digital pianos (like the unwinding of a coil) or that certain musical element.. the wounding of a spring ... I will look it up again and revert back .

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone else get random spring noise? Ratchet related but quick second bursts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump for some listeners with good hearing... its happening so often it driving me crazy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No expert here but when you press the clutch you're unloading the drivetrain, aka the driveshaft and rear diff. This unloading is making something move/ create a noise, so something is worn out.

I'd check out the guibo/csb/rear ujoint or cv. The differential can have slack as well, but my guess is you're driveshaft. I get an occasional noise between gears too and I know my driveshaft is almost toast just flopping around

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes but sometimes it happen and i am already engaged in gear maybe at around 2k revs or so.. imagine being in 2nd gear and hitting the gas (not full throttle, just coasting in parking lets say... and then letting off i get the spring noise.)

i have to take another video cause i know the wind noise is very annoying and the spring noise is so subtle. but i swear if you guys could like cycle back and forth between 20-21 seconds (it goes click click, thats from gear 1 to 2... and the the ratchet noise))

1 - 12 of 12 Posts