BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved from MA to Providence, RI.
Got my car registered, now need to have it inspected.
I have aftermarket tint that has never been a problem in MA - they always just pass me.

Go to get a sticker in RI - the guy says I can't have any tint on it at all.

Anyone know a place that will pass me with aftermarket tint?

I'll roll my windows down if I have too - looks suspicious in March when it's snowing out though ;)

Can't believe they gave me issues here, when I've never had a problem getting a sticker for years in MA.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's something that can't be said online. It's illegal buddy go to broad St in prov
someone wills tell u a spot arund there, hint try a gas station.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if somebody knows of some place "good" .. then send me a PM.. I could really use a sticker for 2 years.

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
just call a few places, be friendly, and let them know that if for some reason you actually get pulled over in the future, you know better enough to tell them you had the tint on when it got inspected...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man. I will try that approach.. and hopefully get a sticker.. We'll see how it goes. The first place I went to this morning, the guy was a real jerk about it...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I guess I'm not really good at sweet talking.. Tried 2 other places, and even though I explained the situation, they just refuse to do it :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, nice weather - so I drove around a bit. Found a place. Let me just say that money talks in this state ;)

Thanks all!

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
Yep, nice weather - so I drove around a bit. Found a place. Let me just say that money talks in this state ;)

Thanks all!
Yea well the extra 20-40 that you dished out was still better than the 250 it would have cost to untint and retint the car, so I'm glad you made out...

Where did you go? They didn't whack you for more than that right? I sure hope not lol....

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ya ri blows I lived there for a few years, and had my cars registered there, I did have some friends who worked at a dealership and would do it for me and I had 5% all around, but yes money talks in that state cause it's so damn expensive already just to live there, everyone is trying to make an extra buck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I ended up slipping the guy an extra 40 .. Way better than pulling off all the tint and getting it redone. Was worth it for the time alone. ... And yes, this state is crazy expensive, and people will certainly look the other way on trivial things like tint for a few extra dollars.

I found some gas station on the north side of providence...

I mean, it's not a safety issue for the car or anything like that - I think they just think it makes things safer for police? I can see how with 5% tint, but the stuff I have on is so light, you can see into my car when you're standing next to it.. heh

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PM sent. I wasn't specific though, don't want to get anyone in trouble - but again, just be nice and try a few places ... good luck!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tint and RI Inspection

Bought a E93 M3 last weekend in CT and need to pass inspection for tint. It was a florida car. Its a convertable and i can drop the top and roll the windows and try and find a place but i'd rather just pay and get it done without having to drive all over.....please help. PM ME.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With really dark Florida tint - you're going to have bad time is my guess. Just know that you CAN find a place that will pass you... just have to tell them what you want to do up front - and you'll have to try a lot of places. I'm weary to give out exact location of where I went, because I don't want them to get in trouble. I've gone there 2ce now since this post is over 2 years old... and it's worth it to pay extra for me.. rather than remove the tint...

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
It you have florida tint which is like... 5% take it off. It because of cars like that why tint is illegal. There is absolutely zero reason why your windows have to be that dark. 20% and higher I can see... anything lower, i just don't see the logic other than thanking that black tint is "sick"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It you have florida tint which is like... 5% take it off. It because of cars like that why tint is illegal. There is absolutely zero reason why your windows have to be that dark. 20% and higher I can see... anything lower, i just don't see the logic other than thanking that black tint is "sick"
I agree - my tint is actually legal in MA , so it's barely tint... Still Illegal in RI because of the 5% florida black ruined it for everyone ;)

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
I agree - my tint is actually legal in MA , so it's barely tint... Still Illegal in RI because of the 5% florida black ruined it for everyone ;)
besides looking ugly, it is a safety issue due to not being able to see out your window... I have 35% on my sides, and then my rear windshield is 20%... on a rainy night, I still can barely see out of them. I can't imagine how poorly the visibility is for those who have limo tint...

·
Registered
550 Posts
my car sits 9 hours a day on a blacktop parking lot in the Texas sun. There is no tint dark enough in my opinion. Car covers are banned at the plant for safety reasons.

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,437 Posts
35% is the lowest that is allowed here in Mass and actually looks as classy as tint will ever look.

Tear it off and get it re-done, not sure how much a shop will charge for tearing it off, but in general, I think you can get it re-done for around $250.

Just make sure that you go to a reputable and experienced place because I had a friend who got tints put on and the shop f'd up the rear and there were bubbles, when they took it off, they f'd up the wires in his rear window and ever since then, he can't listen to his radio when the rear defroster is on because it is all 100% static!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts