E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reverse Camera Install AVIC-Z110BT DD DOUBLE DIN

Finally installed the Reverse Cam to finish up my DD install. My eBay cam actually shipped alot quicker from overseas than I expected and was WAY better quality than I expected. :thumbsup: Fit perfectly for where I wanted to mount it and the camera angle lined up nice (wanted to see my bumper as a point of reference, otherwise it was useless to me) Looking to clearcoat it once the weather gets warmer.

"Driving" view in Navigation Mode

"Reverse trigger" Mode

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Nice! Do you have it wired to come on when you put it in reverse?

The reason I'm asking, I have a Pioneer AVIC-D3 and I can't seem to connect it right. I don't have it connected to the Reverse in any way. Basically how did you wire it? lol

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,390 Posts
this post is exactly what i needed. looks great, is this the style that is built to replace one of the license plate lamps? i'm looking at buying one now, which seller did you get it from if i may ask(you can pm me if you wish). does the light that is used to replace the lamp seem off since it's smaller? any negatives you'd like to add? much appreciated

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice! Do you have it wired to come on when you put it in reverse?

The reason I'm asking, I have a Pioneer AVIC-D3 and I can't seem to connect it right. I don't have it connected to the Reverse in any way. Basically how did you wire it? lol
The camera is wired to Keyed +12V (and GND) so the camera is powered on with the head unit and can be used while driving (2nd pic). Yes, it comes on when I put it in reverse (3rd pic).

Wire the head unit's reverse trigger wire (purple) to reverse lights ckt (blue/yellow). You can tap into it either by the fuse box behind the glove or the actual lights themselves. I tapped into the blue/yellow underneath the rear passenger side threshold since it was easily accessed there. All the wires that need to go to the trunk obviously are in this loom of wires so I figured it had to be in there somewhere... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this post is exactly what i needed. looks great, is this the style that is built to replace one of the license plate lamps? i'm looking at buying one now, which seller did you get it from if i may ask(you can pm me if you wish). does the light that is used to replace the lamp seem off since it's smaller? any negatives you'd like to add? much appreciated
No this isn't one that replaces the lic plate bulb. I think those are only made for e90 actually. Didn't want to change the effect of the LED bulbs that I already had in there. This is a regular mount camera. Had to dremel out a small square to fit the camera inside the hole and route all the wires thru the trunklid, trunk, etc. PITA but CLEAN!!! :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
No this isn't one that replaces the lic plate bulb. I think those are only made for e90 actually. Didn't want to change the effect of the LED bulbs that I already had in there. This is a regular mount camera. Had to dremel out a small square to fit the camera inside the hole and route all the wires thru the trunklid, trunk, etc. PITA but CLEAN!!! :)
Dammit. I hope the one I ordered fits, the seller said it fit E46's. Not a big deal I guess, I'll just have to do something custom. Can't complain for $40 shipped from HK.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dammit. I hope the one I ordered fits, the seller said it fit E46's. Not a big deal I guess, I'll just have to do something custom. Can't complain for $40 shipped from HK.
Yea was looking at that one at one point... Let me know how it goes! Good luck and keep me posted!

·
Europrojektz Southeast
553 Posts
Good job with the install. :thumbsup: Nice and clean too. I have been wanting to do it on my car forever. If you don't mind, could you let me know who's the seller on Ebay that sell this unit? TIA

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yea was looking at that one at one point... Let me know how it goes! Good luck and keep me posted!
Will do. If it doesn't fit or the light output if too different between the original and the new one then I'll probably just disassemble the base and cut a hole next to the license plate light. This pic shows that I can probably take it apart to see how much trimming can be done without ruining it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice

Congratulation

Regarding the rear camera I mounted mine instead of the key-hole...
looks more profissional, net and clear... I will try to make a photo of that once the weather clears out here in Holland.

you can see it on one of my posts here (as mounted).

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,390 Posts
well if people are using oem E90 LED lamps to fit in the E46 now, then I guess it's likely to be the same as E46 so they should be the same.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,390 Posts
i came across another thread that has a CSL trunk. since it doesn't have a handle like yours i may be better going your route than the license plate bulb camera mount. that way it will be centered and maybe less noticeable. here is member CTD mount with relocation of the trunk release button.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10440423&postcount=58

so OP, which seller did you buy from again please(if you recommend)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts