E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that doesn't seem to get much attention is windshield wipers. Now, while this is a very cheap and easy item to maintain, it is crucial that your windshield wipers do their job. How are you supposed to drive if you can't see? Last year when I got my car, the original OEM metal frames were in horrible condition and the plastic clip that holds them to the wiper arm was broken. Therefore, I needed to buy completely new wipers not just refills. First I went the Bosch Icon route. I bought the correct sizes for the car and everything. They worked great for about the first 4 months, but started to degrade in performance greatly until they were almost useless at 6 months. Now, whether this is normal or not, I don't know. I would assume many people have not had this experience as there are lots of people that use them. Anyway, I went to the dealer ship and got the BMW Evo Flat Blade Wipers for the e46. Installed them and so far they work great. Quite, and no streaking at all. The edge of the passenger side one still sticks off the edge of the window as with the icons and you still have to remove the plastic guard on the driver's side wiper arm, but other than that they are perfect. (Hanging off the edge does not affect performance BTW) So far I am impressed with them, so now the test will be how long they hold up. I'll post back on here if they seem to wear as quickly as the Icons, but if they don't, for an extra $10 I would say its worth the money. Anyone else had a better experience with icons or has any experience with the life span of the BMW ones?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I bought PIAA silicon wipers to replace my worn-out OEM wiper blades. I've had good luck with them so far, but I'll be keeping an eye on how long they last as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used the Evo flat blade wipers for over a year now, and they are working very well. They do a better job than the older, traditional style. I haven't had any issues with poor cleaning or juddering blades. I just replaced my first pair with a new set; in my experience wiper blades last about 12 to 18 months and then performance degrades no matter what style or what car I've owned. Mine don't hang over the edge on the passenger side, and I haven't needed to remove the plastic guard on the driver's side -- don't know if this is a slight redesign compared to what's mentioned in other posts or not. Installation is very easy, too. Cost is the only issue. A pair costs close to $60 at my local dealership; but I've seen BMW OEM on the internet for about $40.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I use OEM since they're designed & proven to work up to 150mph without any lift or streaking.

·
Banned
7,363 Posts
There is no need for expensive wipers or "BMW Approved" replacements.

I got my blades at Walmart right after purchasing the car in March 2010. All I know is that they were $12.99, say "CAP" on them, and are the best wipers I've used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts