E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the VCG sometime last year. It's starting to drip/leak near the half moons, probably didn't use enough RTV or let it dry too much before I put the gasket on. Anyway I want to take it off and reapply the RTV. Do you guys think I can reuse the VCG? It's about a year old so I doubt it's hard/brittle like an old one. I don't want to lose any more precious factory BMW oil. :eek:

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Try using permatex ultra black. Its their newest formula. Also do NOT use too much at the halfmoons and DO NOT reinstall the valve cover too soon. Apply a very thin coating of the stuff and let it dry per instructions on the packaging before reinstalling the valve cover. Hand tighten in a cross pattern from the center out then finish up using final torque. don't tighten down bolts til the grommets become distorted. you've gone too far

·
Registered
DDing an only somewhat-janky four-season miata
12,042 Posts
Considering you can purchase a brand new one for just under $30.00, I think you'd be setting yourself up for failure if you did not buy a new one.

I'm sure you can, reuse.. I wouldn't recommend it.
this is what I was going to say. They're cheap enough that you may as well just get a new one.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
After a year, I'm sure it's fine. Use the rtv as suggested...just make sure you remove all that you can...and listen to Mango. I think he's right about how tight to make the screws. I cranked my down to the stop...and have told others that too...but I noticed that my valve cover bends up a little bit at the ends...so I'll probably be redoing mine pretty soon when I do the plugs...and plan on reusing mine too.

Get any rtv residue off the gasket too best you can...will probably scrap off I think.

GL

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Yeah. I think the bottoming out advice needs to be looked at. The valve cover grommets should not become distorted as they do when they're bottomed out. They're not distorted from the factory so they shouldnt be when you tighten it.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
Only thing I can say about that is that when I removed mine, there was no gap between valve cover and cylinder head...with new gasket, the cover sits a bit proud of the bottom of the gasket. I'd read to go to full stop...and know that many bolts are broken coz guys are torquing it down 'from' the point of the stop.

I actually am not sure mine is leaking...but I think it is. I'll know more when I get into things more. So mango, you flying out for my comedy bit? This Thursday...I think you should attend! Maybe if you started a thread you could collect paypal donations to cover the trip? :lmao:

Gheybe is coming mounted on Drewdown's back...just like the space shuttle!

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Only thing I can say about that is that when I removed mine, there was no gap between valve cover and cylinder head...with new gasket, the cover sits a bit proud of the bottom of the gasket. I'd read to go to full stop...and know that many bolts are broken coz guys are torquing it down 'from' the point of the stop.

I actually am not sure mine is leaking...but I think it is. I'll know more when I get into things more. So mango, you flying out for my comedy bit? This Thursday...I think you should attend! Maybe if you started a thread you could collect paypal donations to cover the trip?

Gheybe is coming mounted on Drewdown's back...just like the space shuttle!
:lmao:

I wish, man. Between work and changing my cooling system every morning, not sure I could make it. I think you should come down for bimmerfest mounted on SolidJake's back. :woot:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.