E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I have just figure it out how to make the outer ring of the retrofit LED tail light lit without the adaptive breaklight kit, at the same time took care of the error light in the dash without going to the dealer to recodea!! all it takes is two 5 inch wire that cost 2 cents each probably and it really works!!!!!! PM me if you want to know it too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
hotcello said:
HI
I have just figure it out how to make the outer ring of the retrofit LED tail light lit without the adaptive breaklight kit, at the same time took care of the error light in the dash without going to the dealer to recodea!! all it takes is two 5 inch wire that cost 2 cents each probably and it really works!!!!!! PM me if you want to know it too!

Why don't you just type it up and then put it in the DIY.. Actually I just ordered my LED retrofit stuff today so I wouldn't mind hearing how you lit up the outer ring. PM me if you won't post it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rearviewmirror said:
Why don't you just type it up and then put it in the DIY.. Actually I just ordered my LED retrofit stuff today so I wouldn't mind hearing how you lit up the outer ring. PM me if you won't post it....
I will post it as soon as my digital camera is fixed, need to show you this in picture!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
I'm assuming it is Adaptive Brake Light A??????? System

It means normally the circle of LEDS comes on with normal braking , but if you brake hard, the outer ring will come on as well, alerting drivers of the need to stop sooner.

Question for hotcello and 330CI-silver, with the outer ring coming on whenever you brake, does it look too bright? I am assuming the outer ring is brighter to get driver's attention in an emergency, so is it going to look odd when the outer ring always comes on?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26 Posts
I have the ABLAS kit. I rather have the outter ring light up when hard braking occurs than always having it light up like how this solution you guys have been mentioning. That was the whole point for me to do this LED retrofit.

The ABLAS kit is a piece of hardware that helps senses how hard your car brakes and activates the outter ring.
 

·
Big in Japan
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
I have mine set up to light the inner and outer all the time, it isnt any overall brighter than other brake lights, and I am sure drivers behind you wouldnt think you were panic braking.

However, with that wiring setup, I still had error codes until I went to the dealer to reprog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
EuroProjektzM3 said:
I have the ABLAS kit. I rather have the outter ring light up when hard braking occurs than always having it light up like how this solution you guys have been mentioning. That was the whole point for me to do this LED retrofit.

The ABLAS kit is a piece of hardware that helps senses how hard your car brakes and activates the outter ring.
Where'd you get your ABLAS kit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hotcello said:
HI
I have just figure it out how to make the outer ring of the retrofit LED tail light lit without the adaptive breaklight kit, at the same time took care of the error light in the dash without going to the dealer to recodea!! all it takes is two 5 inch wire that cost 2 cents each probably and it really works!!!!!! PM me if you want to know it too!
here you go:
before you begin, you must remove the adapter that is connected to the light fixture.
1. take a wire the size simular to the adapter wire cut it to about 6 inches with 1/2 inch on each end exposed.
2.twist the exposed wire and insert one end in to the fixture side of the adapter (you will see the middle hole does not have a wire in it, stick it in)
3. twist the other end and fold back so the wire is thicker.
4. stuff the end of the wire in to the other side of the adapter in to the blueish purple wire next to the red one and make sure it is tight enough so it won't fall out.
5. connect everything and you are done.

I do have to say that the ring does come on if you turn the tail lights on. it does not light up during the day time ( the corner lights are off) when you step on the break

please let me know if it works for you guys too, I have a 2002 M3 built in 12/01 so I don't know if it works for everyone.
Good luck!!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the missing bulb under the reverse light!

did you guys know that there is a light bulb missing in the US version of the E46 coupes? not sure if the euros do but I know we don't!! it is the bulb under the reverse light! check it out! I put a bulb in just to see what it looks like..... what do you guys think? does it look OK?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
hotcello said:
here you go:
before you begin, you must remove the adapter that is connected to the light fixture.
1. take a wire the size simular to the adapter wire cut it to about 6 inches with 1/2 inch on each end exposed.
2.twist the exposed wire and insert one end in to the fixture side of the adapter (you will see the middle hole does not have a wire in it, stick it in)
3. twist the other end and fold back so the wire is thicker.
4. stuff the end of the wire in to the other side of the adapter in to the blueish purple wire next to the red one and make sure it is tight enough so it won't fall out.
5. connect everything and you are done.

I do have to say that the ring does come on if you turn the tail lights on. it does not light up during the day time ( the corner lights are off) when you step on the break

please let me know if it works for you guys too, I have a 2002 M3 built in 12/01 so I don't know if it works for everyone.
Good luck!!

You just kinda of stuffed that wire in there? Wouldn't it have been better to use some kind of tap or crimped connector?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rearviewmirror said:
You just kinda of stuffed that wire in there? Wouldn't it have been better to use some kind of tap or crimped connector?
I guess it would be nice but since I was just testing it and it worked, I just left it there, and since I didn't want to cut any existing wire I think it would work for now and if you decide that you don't want it anymore for some reason, you can just take it out!!:)
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top