BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
• DFW •
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An inline 8? Are there tech reasons to not go to 8 cyclinders with an inline engine? My collegues and I are discussing I6s versus V8 and theyre telling me that one of the flaws of the inline is that it cant go to 8 cylinders. Im like WTF!?:eek:

So anyone have any ideas why there are no I8 ?? Any other manufacturers out there tried them???

·
Alpha Male
6,560 Posts
Inline 8 would be too long and take up a lot of space. Also I'd assume that the blalance of the engine would be WAY off due to the length of the crankshaft.

·
• DFW •
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so how is a V8 shorter than an I8? I just dont see the lack of an I8 as a flaw in the concept of inline engines. My collegues are dumb asses LoL

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I8's have seen the light of day back in the day in american engines as I recall. The pistons diameter all lined up in a row makes for one long a$$ engine, where as the V8, the pistons are staggered, which means the block becomes shorter, the crankshaft is shorter (less crank length inbetween rod journals, which then equals less crank material to flex, twist apart and fail)

·
• DFW •
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thats what I figured. THX! basically a space and crankshaft constraint... but I imagine the crankshaft constraint can be overcome since a V12 has a long crankshaft too. And what about the VV16 or something that wolkswagon used on one of their exotics or something...?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
think about the distance in between (on the crankshaft) each connecting rod journal, on an inline, you're talking the diameter of the piston plus the material seperating the cylinder walls......could be inches. Now think of the distance inbetween each con rod journal on the crankshaft when the pistons are staggered/overlaping each other, would be a much shorter span between, even though I'm sure the crank on a V10-16 would be long, the crank would be "densely" populated with rod connections, not long areas of twistable metal like in a inline

My analogies are crap, just don't know how to explain it with physically showing. now, the inline 6 (it seems to me) could potentially have the same problem....but it seems to work pretty well. :dunno:

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
5,761 Posts
I8's definitely HAVE existed...

I believe there even was an I10 if I'm not mistaken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts