BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 M3 Convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Borla exhaust on my 2002 convertible, and it's quite loud. The factory resonators were removed when the previous owner installed the Borla.

I've read in other postings how the muffler seems to determine the tone of the exhaust, and the resonators control the volume. So I'm wondering if adding a pair of resonators will lower the volume without degrading the sound.

Curious if anyone else out there has a similar setup and can comment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I actually have the same setup on my car and curious what people have to say about potentially making it quieter.... I did find this online and was thinking of installing it

The muffler is definitely loud and I love the sound but sometimes I just want to cruise in peace lol ... especially since I plan to daily my m3 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 M3 Convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m a bit confused. You say that you want something to make your car quieter (sometimes), and that you like the Borla exhaust sound.

However a cutout valve like this is usually used to bypass the muffler when it’s open and divert the exhaust gases out a short straight pipe instead.

This is done by installing a “Y” pipe before the muffler, putting the muffler on one outlet of the Y and the valve with straight pipe on the other. Keeping the valve closed forces the exhaust through the muffler, but opening it allows the exhaust to escape via the straight pipe.

So if you installed this, and wanted a quieter ride, you’d need to replace the Borla with a quieter muffler and then use this valve to bypass it when you want the car to be loud.

Maybe I don’t understand how you envision using it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts