BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed thier second resonator on a 330Ci? If, so how did sound? Any droning? Also has anyone considered putting in some sort of X pipe in it's place? Would there be any benefits to this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Also does anyone know if the resonator combines the pipes or are their two seperate chambers? If the chambers are combined then X-pipe would be useless, but would putting straight pipes in mess any equilization up?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removed it anyway. . .

Well, since nobody had any answers, I just went ahead and took the thing out anyway. It cost $55 and about 30 minutes. My first impression was it was deeper on idle from outside the car. Inside the car, I can tell no difference in sound. As far as performance goes, I couldn't really tell anyting. If nothing else, I reduced the weight by about 15 lbs. Maybe I can get someone to drive it down the road while I listen.

As far as my questions on the resonator design. It is a dual chambered straight through design as far as I can tell. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see the thing cut out.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,499 Posts
The only reason that the resonator is there is to soften the sound of the exhaust. I know that you get the same effect from a stock exhaust as you would from an aftermarket one: it gets louder.

·
Formerly 330CI6spd
643 Posts
Re: Removed it anyway. . .

03-330Ci said:
Well, since nobody had any answers, I just went ahead and took the thing out anyway. It cost $55 and about 30 minutes. My first impression was it was deeper on idle from outside the car. Inside the car, I can tell no difference in sound. As far as performance goes, I couldn't really tell anyting. If nothing else, I reduced the weight by about 15 lbs. Maybe I can get someone to drive it down the road while I listen.

As far as my questions on the resonator design. It is a dual chambered straight through design as far as I can tell. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see the thing cut out.
please keep us updated on the sound of the exhaust....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Resonator Pics

Resonator 1

Resonator 2

The exhaust is definately louder. Hopefully I can get a camera and record some sound.

·
Formerly 330CI6spd
643 Posts
Re: Resonator Pics

03-330Ci said:
The exhaust is definately louder. Hopefully I can get a camera and record some sound. [/B]

in a good way or in a drony (headache after long drives) way?

I thought about cutting the res for a little extra sound...

does it sound a little deeper like an aftermarket exhaust

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The 330 has 2" pipe, but I'm not sure about the 325. I would assume it's the same, but don't take my word on that. As far as the sound goes. The 330 with the valve disabled has a drone to it to begin with. From inside the cabin, all I can tell is that the drone is slightly deeper, but not really any louder. Hopefully this weekend I can can get someone to drive it down the street so I can listen from outside. Also, I'll try to get some sound clips next week.

Also, there is a counterweight that was welded to the top of the resonator. They cut mine off and welded it back to the pipes themselves. I'm not sure how it would do leaving this out alltogether.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a Dinan exhaust on my 330...am thinking about removing the resonator as well....do you have any pics of what it looks from underneath?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I couldnt find any pics with the resonator still in.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Are the resonators bolt on (easily removable) or welded?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are welded on and have to be torched out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts