E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Resonator delete bad idea?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mondrage 
#1 ·
I'm considering deleting my second resonator on my 330Ci, which is otherwise completely stock. Is this a terrible idea? Will it sound raspy and unbalanced? I'm hoping for a deeper more grumbly sound but nothing too obnoxious. Anyone who's done it, what differences have you noticed? Also, this may very well be a stupid question, but worst case scenario, I hate it, I can pay again to have the shop reinstall it, correct?
Thanks!!

#2 ·
I tried it and it’s way too loud. Not cool. I did the whole exhaust without resonators.
I have a Vibrant exhaust.
With both resonators it had a good sound, but wanted more, so I removed the rear resonator. Not it makes a really deep sound but I feel it’s even too much.
Without both resonators it’s just annoying.
My 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I tried it and it’s way too loud. Not cool. I did the whole exhaust without resonators.
I have a Vibrant exhaust.
With both resonators it had a good sound, but wanted more, so I removed the rear resonator. Not it makes a really deep sound but I feel it’s even too much.
Without both resonators it’s just annoying.
My 2cents.

When you first tried it was the whole exhaust system stock? With the exception of the one resonator removed, of course. What did it sound like when you did it, and pops, rasp, or just a deeper tone?
Appreciate your wisdom

#4 ·
The first time, I did the whole exhaust piping in stainless steel 2.5”.
With no muffler it sounded amazing but not for driving for sure.
With the muffler it was better but way too loud. It was fun for like a minute. Very DEEP. Incredible.

Then, I decided to install the stock exhaust back. Both resonators and the Vibrant muffler. Too muffled.
Si, went for just removing the rear resonator. It sounds amazing. A bit loud, but people notices you, not in a bad way. It’s still deep. A bit raspy. It’s pretty awesome to be honest. Let me try to make a quick vid.
Wished it had the larger engine. Mine is a 323i, to match the acceleration to the sound. Hahahaha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.