BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 325XI 2.5L with 200k miles.

About a year ago the key fob quit working. Since then I was just using the key to lock and unlock. This past Saturday we were at a store and when I locked the doors I could feel that something wasn't right. When I tried to unlock the doors the key wouldn't work. I was able to get in through the trunk and unlocked the doors from the inside. Unfortunately that set off the alarm. Now the car will not start. I'm assuming that it's because of the alarm system.

So how can I reset the alarm system? I did disconnect the battery over the weekend. So far everything that I've found gives directions for reprogramming with a key fob or says that I'll have to take it to a dealer.

FWIW the vehicle is in rather rough shape and was due to be sold/scrapped in a few months.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,094 Posts
Is it an aftermarket alarm system, or the BMW alarm retrofit?
Your E46 didn***8217;t have a factory alarm.

Most likely the left door tumbler is broken. They***8217;re designed to be weak and break easily in case of theft attempt. You can get a repair kit for around $10 on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322256144551

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to assume that is a BMW retrofit if it didn't come from the factory, but really I have no idea. I just assumed that it was a factory system.

I have the tumbler out and that is the problem, but I'm not going to spend even $10 if I have to spend more to get it started.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,094 Posts
I'm going to assume that is a BMW retrofit if it didn't come from the factory, but really I have no idea. I just assumed that it was a factory system.

I have the tumbler out and that is the problem, but I'm not going to spend even $10 if I have to spend more to get it started.
Ah yeah, the no start. Work your way through our no-start thread.
E46 No Start Guide - list of possible causes
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1011677

1 - 4 of 4 Posts