E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cracked my existing valve cover while replacing gasket about 750 miles ago and I'm now replacing it due to minor leakage. Should I install a new VCG or can I re-use the existing one that has only a few miles on it?

Thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
16,114 Posts
You can reuse it to be honest. It's not a perishable gasket, like your head gasket or the VANOS gasket. I would be wary of the RTV areas though. Make sure those are cleaned off well and not damaged. You can DEFINITELY reuse the grommets assuming you already replaced those.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fair enough but remember who voted for replacement when you get it all done and find out in two weeks that it's leaking and you have to pull it apart again because you didn't want to spend $20 to replace it.

Just kidding man, go for it. I've never tried re-using one, I've just been told they distort once tightened down. If other people say they've done it, give it a shot.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Fair enough but remember who voted for replacement when you get it all done and find out in two weeks that it's leaking and you have to pull it apart again because you didn't want to spend $20 to replace it.

Just kidding man, go for it. I've never tried re-using one, I've just been told they distort once tightened down. If other people say they've done it, give it a shot.
Yeah if he does a bad job of cleaning the surface and re-applying the rtv. I literally had mine off 4 times and it holds fine. Prepping the surface is key OP.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I actually almost didn't even post the question, as I thought everyone would say replace it and give me a bunch of $&/! for asking. Funny.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Can we turn this into a for sale thread?

I assume your interior is semi-mint and you will be starting your part out in a week?

I am looking for the driver's side kick panel when you get the chance, thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,623 Posts
First of all, to all those saying it's only $20 to replace, you're wrong. Even the crap Victor Reinz VCG isn't that cheap. Second, you can reuse it assuming it's fairly new. The only reason you'd replace every time removing the VC is if you were using a paper or cork gasket, which this obviously isn't.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can we turn this into a for sale thread?

I assume your interior is semi-mint and you will be starting your part out in a week?

I am looking for the driver's side kick panel when you get the chance, thanks! :)
I'm not selling anything.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anybody know a good link for OEM parts. I need a valve cover, as my wonderful husband cracked my while replacing gasket as well. Go figure SMH.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts